1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the pecking order for NFL franchises?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They've won three Super Bowls with him as owner. Granted, that was awhile ago, but that's as many as Robert Kraft has won.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yeah, but we know helmet head had a big stamp on those three.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Owners don't win Super Bowls by themselves and neither do coaches.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

True, but they aren't exactly irrelevant

5. Mizzougrad96

Dallas went from four victories in back-to-back years to the Super Bowl in three years. Yes, some of the credit goes to Jimmy Johnson, some goes to the Vikings stupidity for making the Herschel Walker trade, but Jerry Jones does get some credit for that as well.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel like the Chicago Bears are getting a bit of a short shrift here, particularly in the off-the-field success category. New stadium. Sold-out games for decades. Stability in the front office and head coach's position.

Combine that with the franchise's historical significance as a charter member of the NFL, in one of the most supportive pro sports cities in America, and if the Bears aren't quite royalty, they are damned, damned close.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'd put the Bears in the top 10.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the Steelers can give them a run these days, especially when it comes to being hated. Roethlisberger's idiocy might have finally put them over the top. You have to win to be truly hated.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not so sure about that. I realize this is anecdotal, but most people I know love or hate the Cowboys and couldn't give two shits about the Steelers.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, OOP, take off your black and gold glasses and realize more people hate the Ravens than give a shit about the Stillers.
    And the two combined don't equal a third of the love-hate for the Cowboys.

11. outofplace

It is anecdotal, but so is my evidence. I know people who hate both, but the Steelers tend to rile them up a bit more because of their recent success and Roethlisberger's off-field behavior.

A few weeks ago, Mrs. OOP and I took a vacation in Key West. I was amazed by the number of reactions I got the day I wore a Steelers t-shirt.

12. outofplace

And you tell me I need to lighten up?

This is all anecdotal, but even you have to admit your own experience might be colored just a bit by living in Giants territory, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted