1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the pecking order for NFL franchises?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You realize Buffalo has been to like 4 Super Bowls since the Lions last won a playoff, game right?

BTW, I agree Detroit is a career-killing stop, but its not like you wont get paid more than you are worth.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I had to bet on the longterm success of two franchises it would be Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

3. Royalty:
    Steelers, Patrtiots, Colts, Packers,

Good Org.
    Vikings, Ravens (borderline royalty), Titans, Eagles

Middle of the Pack
    Chargers, Rams, Seahawks, Bears, Saints, Broncos, Jaguars, Giants, Chiefs, Cowboys, Falcons,

Dregs
    Dolphins, Bills, Jets, Texans, Browns, Buccaneers, Panthers, 49ers

Career Killers: featuring the Do NOT Want Bear
    Bengals, Raiders, Redskins, Cardinals, Detroit

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think Detroit has been to the playoffs since 1993 (I might be forgetting one). The thing with the Lions is they really don't have an excuse for being bad for so long. They have the money. They spend the money.

The Bengals are the cheapest in the NFL by far. I once sat next to Marvin Lewis in coach on the way back from the NFL owner's meetings. I said, "They wouldn't even spring for First Class?" and he just laughed.

The Niners have been a bad franchise since they fired Mariucci. I'm not saying Mooch was Bill Walsh, but he was better than Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary put together.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not bad. I think if you are going to put the Giants among the royalty, the Colts have to be there, too. I guess it depends how far back you want to go when making the judgement, but if the Bills are at the bottom, that means you aren't including the '90s.

I thought the line between dregs and career killers was interesting, basically suggesting those franchises at the very bottom can't win. Put the right people in charge and that will change. Hell, keep ownership from fucking it up for a couple of years and it can change. Just see Arizona's recent run of respectability.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, with an epic-shit schedule. The division came back to reassert the true order of things, this year. As long as they have the tightass owner with the God complex, they've got no shot.

7. Not sure anything about 'Zona's so-called run is respectable. The team has had two winning seasons in the last 10 years and three winning seasons in the last 20.
    Back to back winning seasons for a franchise that has sucked for so long really can't be a labeled a run, much less a respectable one.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Which they then proceeded to sabotage with their tightass ways. I'm sure Mr. Billy thinks that one Super Bowl every 20-30 years is enough to keep the fan base placated.

I hear the calliope playing . . .

9. outofplace

I do see your point, but they did also make it to a Super Bowl. Before that, they absolutely would have been listed among the career killers, which was kind of my point. Plenty of teams have a well-deserved spot among the dregs, but they can turn it around fairly quickly and contend with the right people in charge.

10. outofplace

Ownership is defitely a huge problem for the Bengals, but both of their recent playoff runs were legit. The 2005 team was damn good and even as a Steelers fanboy, I have to admit that they might have beaten Pittsburgh in the playoffs if Carson Palmer hadn't hurt his knee.

The schedule wasn't the reason last year's team won the AFC North. The Steelers and Ravens had relatively easy schedules, too. The Bengals went 6-0 in the division. That's a pretty clear indication of who the better team was.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Despite their limiited on-field success lately and the seemingly univrsal hatred of Jerry Jones, the Cowboys are NFL royalty. They arethe most valuable franchise in the league and one of the most valuable in the world.
    Since the original parameters of this "poll" include off the field success, the Cowboys are royalty.
    The same goes for the Giants.
    Pats, Steelers and Packers would be my other three "royalty" teams.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Truly is amazing to think of the Packers as "NFL royalty" considering where this team/organization was in the grand scheme of things 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted