1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the NCAA rule ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballwriter, Aug 28, 2008.

1. footballwriter

footballwriter New Member

on the amount of time academic non-qualifiers can spend in preseason practice before they have to leave? I have heard/read 15 days and 12 days. I would love to see it in writing if possible, but I haven't found it on the NCAA site or anywhere else.

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Sorry. My copy of the 19,999-page NCAA handbook is back at the office.

Seriously, all coaches have one. A coach gave me his when he thought the FB team was skirting some rules a few years ago. His interpretation didn't match that of the NCAA.

The books aren't that hard to get your hands on.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was told by an AD that the toughest job at any athletic department is compliance director. I would have to agree.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

It would take a six-figure salary plus paid education in law for me to even consider such a job.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was two weeks. Not sure if it is a straight "that many days" or X number of practices but the time period doesn't stretch longer than two weeks.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't remember who said it, but I recall the saying that it is impossible to obey every single rule in the NCAA book, meaning that every single team in the country, technically, cheats.

Draft saved Draft deleted