1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the most disappointing single season for a pro sports team ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 10, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At the time I never thought I'd feel as badly as a sports fan. Never. I never dreamed I could be that disappointed again.

And then there was WS Game 6 in 2011. Proved me wrong. I could not only be that disappointed, I could be even more disappointed.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Angels are just a step behind the Red Sox on the 2012 list.

They signed Pujols and had a rotation with Weaver and Haren and added Greinke and still couldn't sniff the postseason.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I know all that, but Urban Shocker and Joe Dugan had severe fall-offs, Pennock and Sad Sam Jones were not up to their normal standards and the team failed to adequately replace Everett Scott when he was injured. Injury is a leading cause for disappointment. The Yankees finished first or second in the American League in every other season of the 1920s. Ruth's syphilitic dick cost them big.

The inclusion of 100-win baseball teams who simply slipped up in incredibly bandom best-of-seven series is rather shortsighted when a team with Babe Ruth in his supposed prime couldn't crack 70 wins.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Angels who signed Mo Vaughn were far more disappointing the Angels of 2012.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I see what you did there.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It gets worse when you remember that the Braves not only won 4-0 and 12-1 in the first two in the Bronx but had also come from 3-1 down to beat the Cardinals by winning 14-0, 3-1 and 15-0.

That might be the most dominant five-game run in baseball history ... and it just blew up.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That Which Is Happening Right Now Is The Greatest/Worst Ever Incarnation of That Particular Thing, And Isn't It So Cool That I Get To Say I Witnessed It!

8. joe

joe Active Member

The Chiefs. Pick a year, almost any year.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Are you fucking kidding me? They went 14-2 regular season. I don't give shit if they got upset in the playoffs, no team that went 14-2 belongs in the "most disappointing ever" discussion.

However, one team that does warrant mention is this year's USC Trojan football team. The consensus pre-season No. 1 ranked team in the nation. Finished a miserable unranked 7-6 season, in which they didn't beat a good team all year, by getting mauled by a woeful 6-7 Ga Tech team in the Sun Bowl. By far the worst showing by a pre-season No. 1 I can ever remember.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

2002 World Cup: Argentina picked to reach final, cannot get out of first round. Played dismally.

The England national team in ALL competitions, if you read the tabloids.

The Jets of 2011 had much of the hype the Eagles have had in the last couple years.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Is this based on expectations of what they were going to do coming into the season or failure in the postseason?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1964 Phillies.

Draft saved Draft deleted