1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the most disappointing single season for a pro sports team ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 10, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That Mets team that the book was about would have to be way way up there.

Parcells' final Jets team would rank up there too -- the one 60 Minutes was following around to catalog a Super Bowl season, since they had just been 12-4 and now Elway was retired.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Are you guys making funny with the USC stuff?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Certainly this whole discussion has to differentiate between teams which had every intention (and appeared to have the talent necessary) to win, as opposed to teams which had been decimated by retirement (i.e. the post-Jordan Bulls) or ownership decision to get rid of the roster in a fire sale.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lest we forget the hyperbole heading into the previous year:

http://nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history/

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

1971 Cincinnati Reds.

It's amazing to think before they broke through in 1975 the Reds of the 1970s were considered underachievers.

Won just 79 games with (albeit young) Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, George Foster, Dave Concepcion, Tony Perez, Don Gullet, Lee May, Gary Nolan and Clay Carroll a year after winning 102 games with a carbon copy roster.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Braves in 1991 were absolutely not disappointing. Sheesh, the Braves had finished last -- 26 games out -- in their division in 1990!

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Huh. That's really not how I remember it, but then I was about 12 at the time. I thought the 93 team had the high expectations, having signed Eddie Murray, etc.

8. doctorquant

Yeah, Red Sox of 2011, especially when you consider their preseason hype, have to rank right up there.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

1990-1992 Pittsburgh Pirates

11. doctorquant

Yeah, they're up there when you think about it ... they just had the misfortune to run up against the Braves when the Braves were disappointing so many people.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was looking for an excuse to post this picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted