1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the longest article you ever wrote?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by valpo87, Jan 14, 2014.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Tight writing and "longform" aren't mutually exclusive. 4,000 words that's been given a hard edit by a good editor can read like 1,000 words. On the other hand, 2,000 words of overwrought purple prose can read like 4,000.

Ego, time, and a lack of good editors are even bigger obstacles to good writing than space and attention span.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Not seeing many "long reads" that appear to have been given an energetic line edit by a no-nonsense editor.
    Takes more skill to write something in half the allotted space.
    This was a great writing exercise back in the day - write your term paper in 1,500 words.
    No time for whacking off - you introduce yourself, stay for a drink and you head for the door.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know I sometimes act as a de facto P.R. person for The New Yorker, but that's your place for that.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

True enough.
    Pointing more at the meandering Grantland-style essay.

5. icoverbucks

icoverbucks Member

I just wrote an 8,000 word column, does that count?

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I'm sure your mother will love it.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

I wouldn't read it even if it were about me.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I once had an in-depth investigative piece about a quasi-government body that started on the front, then filled two whole jump pages. This was 12 years ago so I can't remember exact inches or word count, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than 4,000 words. It was the second part in a two-part series. First one had come out the previous summer, then this more in-depth one was worked on for about six months on top of regular duties.
    I liked how the story turned out, mainly because it didn't bog down and because it was balanced. I had quotes and paperwork, but the government leaders also had their chance to explain their side. Our daily competitor did a four-piece "investigative" series which was a one-sided PR piece for the government body. Another bigger daily swooped in and did a smear job on the group, so mine was right in the middle.
    As others have said, the main thing is to have a piece that keeps moving. Some add words just to add length; quantity over quality.

9. joe

joe Active Member

I've written magazine stores that check in at more than 5,000 words, but the longest newspaper story I ever wrote was probably 75 inches or a shade less, and that one pretty much sucked. I was much better at writing the 35-inch features back then than the longer pieces.

10. JordanA

JordanA Member

I wrote an 85-inch feature on an assistant girls basketball coach at one of the local high schools, and a 105-inch story about a day in the life of a local late model stock driver. Both of those were really fun to do, and though they caused some headaches for the page designers, they all said the length was worth it for the stories I had.

11. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Looks like my longest article will be about 40 inches. I'd love to write longer pieces because I also write novels and short fiction. It's hard when our print papers are light due to advertising sales (lots of full-page ads ... shouldn't complain since it makes us money).

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've done some magazine writing and one of them wanted long form articles. 8-10 sources, lots of background. Would be 100 inches or more and spread over 7-8 pages in a magazine.

For newspapers, I'd say 60 inches or so was about my longest. But they might have 1-2 sidebars plus a graphic or two, breakout boxes, etc. Makes it a little easier to digest --- not to mention lay out --- if you break it up like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted