1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Internet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Bryant Gumbel, Elizabeth Vargas, and Katie Couric don't know what the Internet is... Today Show January 1994
  2. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

Wouldn't be the only thing that Gumbel is unaware of.
  3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dooley_Womack1 is reporting that he is in college with Liz Vargas. More on this story as it develops.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sadly, the faces were different, but that was the exact script of the executive roundtable at the 2008 ASNE convention.
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's a series of tubes.
  6. It's not a dump truck.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny to see now, but how out of touch were they?

I think I first got online in around 1995 or so. My ex's brother gave us an old computer and a 14.4 kbps modem.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had AOL in high school. You only had so many minutes you could use a week.

But when I got to college in the fall of '95, I remember it was late in the first semester when I told someone that I was ringing up a huge phone bill calling my girlfriend at home.

Friend: "You guys should just email each other?"
    Me: "What is that?"

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Deeper_Background is reporting news from 1994. Coming up next, the latest on the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby.
  10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I didn't and I was a computer geek. How many people knew what it was or what the Web was? Netscape wasn't founded until April 1994. Deeper_background continues to win the No. 1 idiot of SPJ.com award.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People in the 19th century didn't know we could travel to the moon and back.
    They were so stupid.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Katie's hair looked terrible.
Draft saved Draft deleted