1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Internet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Bryant Gumbel, Elizabeth Vargas, and Katie Couric don't know what the Internet is... Today Show January 1994
    #

2. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

Wouldn't be the only thing that Gumbel is unaware of.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dooley_Womack1 is reporting that he is in college with Liz Vargas. More on this story as it develops.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sadly, the faces were different, but that was the exact script of the executive roundtable at the 2008 ASNE convention.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's a series of tubes.

6. It's not a dump truck.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny to see now, but how out of touch were they?

I think I first got online in around 1995 or so. My ex's brother gave us an old computer and a 14.4 kbps modem.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had AOL in high school. You only had so many minutes you could use a week.

But when I got to college in the fall of '95, I remember it was late in the first semester when I told someone that I was ringing up a huge phone bill calling my girlfriend at home.

Friend: "You guys should just email each other?"
    Me: "What is that?"

Dramatization:

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Deeper_Background is reporting news from 1994. Coming up next, the latest on the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I didn't and I was a computer geek. How many people knew what it was or what the Web was? Netscape wasn't founded until April 1994. Deeper_background continues to win the No. 1 idiot of SPJ.com award.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People in the 19th century didn't know we could travel to the moon and back.
    They were so stupid.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Katie's hair looked terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted