1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest individual performance you've ever seen in person?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

More of a moment than actual performance, but Payne Stewart's putt to win the 1999 U.S. Open at Pinehurst, beating Phil. I can still hear that roar at 18.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Shaun Alexander ran for 266 yards against the Raiders in 2001, at the time the fourth-highest total ever (12 yards away from the record). He broke an 88-yarder.

Later that season, the Tuck game and Vinatieri's kick. I don't think TV could ever do justice to the wind-swirl and field slickness that went into that 45-yarder.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mark Ingram in Tuscaloosa vs. South Carolina in 2009. His numbers (246 yards, 1 TD) don't do justice to how utterly dominant he was. With Alabama up just 13-6 midway through the fourth and the passing game in a typical October funk (even with Julio Jones to throw to, mind you), Ingram went into the wildcat and ran the ball five straight times to give the Tide 1st and goal. Finally Greg McElroy came in - to pitch the ball to Ingram on 1st down to score and cap off a 68-yard all-Ingram drive. He finished with 10+ yards per carry and for the first time I realized an Alabama player might win the Heisman.

Bradley Guire likes this.
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Huge rain - 41 points overall in 4th qtr between both teams. Crazy game.
    I remember being up to my ankles in mud in Shaeffer Stadium parking lot

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Tuffy Rhodes smacking three homers off Doc Gooden in the Cubs 1994 opener at Wrigley.

Brett getting to .401 in Augusr 1980. Was five and still remember everything about that moment from the seats.

Saw Gretzky bag five goals against the Blues in 1984.

Does seeing Dawkins shatter the backboard in KC in 1979 count?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Randall Simon vs. the Miller Park sausage

dixiehack and exmediahack like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only if you can verify that Bill Robinzine was indeed crying.

SpeedTchr and exmediahack like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Barry Sanders in the 1988 Holiday Bowl. He ran for 222 yards and five touchdowns in three quarters in Oklahoma State's 62-14 victory over Wyoming.

Second was Gaston Green in the 1986 Freedom Bowl, where he rushed for 266 yards, and accounted for all four UCLA touchdowns, against BYU.

In the postgame presser, Patti Edwards, wife of BYU Coach LaVell Edwards, chastised UCLA Coach Terry Donahue for having Green throw a halfback option pass, which went for a TD, with six minutes left.

From the LA Times gamer:
    "Do you really think it was kosher, running that halfback thing, with the score the way it was?" Mrs. Edwards asked.

"Well, Patti," began Donahue, who explained that assistant coach Homer Smith called the play and then said that both teams were still playing.

"I made my point," said Mrs. Edwards as she left the interview room.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rory's -16 at Congressional in the '11 U.S. Open comes to mind for me. Soft course, but -8 was second place. Truly dominant four days.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can verify I was crying because it scared me.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Giving it ten seconds of thought, probably this:

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, it's either Strasburg's debut or Jordan Zimmerman's no-hitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted