1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest individual performance you've ever seen in person?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe Josh Beckett's complete-game shutout of the Yankees in Game 6 of the 2003 World Series on three days' rest.

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Chargers at Raiders, 2001: Jerry Rice caught three touchdowns. I repeat, a 39-year-old man caught three touchdowns in one game.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jack Nicklaus' charge to victory at the '86 Masters. I remember sitting in the old quonset hut that served as the "media center" watching the round on TV and heading out to follow Jack after he got hot and birdied 9, 10 and 11. I missed the bogey on 12 but got there in time to catch the real fireworks coming in. Never heard anything like the sound when he dropped that tee shot on 16 within inches of an ace.

Double Down likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

USC's Anthony Davis scored six touchdowns against Notre Dame in 1972.
    L.A. Times headline: DAVIS, DAVIS, DAVIS, DAVIS, DAVIS, DAVIS

Songbird and RubberSoul1979 like this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, as I've mentioned here before, that event also produced my favorite lede I've ever written: The crowd roared Sunday at Augusta National. But the Bear roared louder.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Probably Mark Fidrych's debut as a major league starter in '76 vs. Cleveland. Fyckin' Buddy Bell (who was one of my favorites before that hit)...

Kicked off a summer of magic here during my early-teen years.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Joe Washington Colts / Pats 1978 Caught a TD, Threw a TD and returned a kick-off for
    a TD all in The 4th QTR

OJ going over 2000 rushing yds vs Jets

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Local beat writer downing 12 press box hit dogs with kraut, two small bags of chips, countless Cokes and three chocolate chip cookies... all by the time the fourth quarter started. The greatest and most terrifying performance I've ever seen.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Damn, Earthman, I was at the Joe Washington game, too. Humongous rainstorm, I recollect.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you can't count the Cokes, your entry is disqualified.

Killick likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Great performance, but I heard the postgame press conference turned into a real shit show.

Alma, SpeedTchr, Ace and 2 others like this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Don't think I can touch the 12 hotdogs in three quarters feat, but I did see Toby Gerhart run wild over Notre Dame.
    Dude couldn't be stopped. Just so happened to be the final game before Charlie Weis got fired.

Killick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted