1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the fascination with David Eckstein?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Walter_Sobchak, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Eckstein had, what, 8 hits?

Here were four of them:

1. A drive that the CFer misjudged
    2. A drive that the LFer misjudged
    3. A ground ball that would've been bang bang had Inge thrown it anywhere near Casey
    4. A ground ball that was double-clutched.

I think he's a decent player, nothing less, nothing more.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. And now he's a World Series MVP.

Baseball's a game of inches.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

If he's below average, who's average? He's solid in the field and can hit decently. If he was Latino, yes, he'd be a no-name but he's small, white and Jewish-sounding, so he stands out. And, while this isn't apparent to everyone, that he's doing what he's doing with his family's medical history, is pretty amazing.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just curious -- what kind of treatment would Eckstein be receiving if he were white? :D

5. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

my guess is that if he were white, people would laud eckstein for his scrappiness and grit.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sadly, we'll never know for sure.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Eckstein is one the rare people, not just in baseball but in life in general, that gets the most out of his abilities. And he's not an arrogant tool. Those qualities make him the perfect villian for this place. That bastard.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on.. that's like peeing in Freddie Patek's corn flakes... quit pickin on him...

9. Mike Norys

Mike Norys New Member

I'm tired of people hating on Eckstein.

Here is one of the truly good people in sports. A guy that makes the most out of everything he does and seems to always be around when success is happening.

And all you can say is that he had eight hits. I don't care how many balls were misjudged or how many times the ball is hit directly to him, he had eight hits, eight timely hits for that matter and was a big reason why his team won the series.

So keep hating, and complaining, and getting pissed because your baseball career fizzled out in high school and you think you could play better than him. Lay off.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Nice work for your second post (much better than your OTH debut). Now fetch me a beer, newbie.

Damn, I always wanted to say that.

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Whoops, apologies for the typo re: Eckstein's whiteness. That was the alcohol talking.

Wow... never thought that someone would break out the "just because Eckstein made it to the majors and you didn't" argument. Fine. You win. Eckstein's a better baseball player than me.

I guess I'll break this down another way. NO ONE said Eckstein wasn't a nice guy. He is. He was more than accomodating in the one time I've dealt with him. That is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

The real discussion is why a guy with mediocre stats gets voted for sainthood because he likes to run out grounders and will occassionally dive to make a play in the field.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Because professional athletics is littered with genuinely talented people who think they're too damn good to try hard. And thus don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted