1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest point spread you remember?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 20, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just saw that Ohio State is favored by 42.5 against Eastern Michigan right now.

It got me thinking about what the biggest point spread for a game ever was. Anyone remember one bigger than that?

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Nebraska being a 60-point favorite over Hawaii in the early 80s, but I can't find proof of it.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/08/gators-a-73point-favorite-over-charleston-southern.html

This link says Hawaii -59.5 vs. Northern Colorado a couple of years ago is the most recent record, although there was a non-Vegas line of 73 for Florida-Charleston Southern game.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I thought I remember a Nebraska spread in the mid-60s, and they covered with a 70-0 win. This was during the Eric Crouch era.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

OSU was a 42 point favorite last year against some patsy. (The things you remember when you are a degenerate gambler.)

I also thought I saw USC at 40 or 42 in their prime with Pete Caroll.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not a point spread, but Mike Tyson was a 43-to-1 favorite over Buster Douglas.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

The Spurrier Gators always had big numbers in noncon games. Pretty sure I remember seeing many a games go 50+.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That sounds familiar to me as well. I was thinking it was 63 and I remember thinking no way they can cover that. One touchdown by the patsy and they probably wouldn't cover. And I know they covered it, whatever it was.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was checkable. Covers.com has past history of point spreads and results going back to 1985-6. The highest point spread while Crouch was there was -49.5 in their opening game in 2000, against San Jose State. They didn't cover. The final score was 49-13.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

During the 1970s, I believe Nebraska was favored by more than 50 over Colorado and I think the Huskers covered. I think Stanford was like a 41-point dog about 3-4 years ago when it beat Southern Cal.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Wasn't USC about a 42-point favorite over Stanford maybe in 2007 when Luck led Stanford to the win?
    Also, several Pac-10 games involving WAZZU the last three seasons have had ginormous spreads.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

According to this, Florida was a 73-point favorite against Charleston Southern.

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/08/gators-a-73point-favorite-over-charleston-southern.html

Draft saved Draft deleted