1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best band to come out since 2000?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 3, 2008.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the national

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What, no love for Vampire Weekend? The current Afro-preppy band of the day.
    Explosions in the Sky did a couple of shows in 1999, but didn't release anything until 2000, does that count?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Decemberists and Rilo Kiley released their first albums in 2001. They're in the conversation.

The Postal Service is pretty damn good; debut album in '03.

I suppose The Fray can thank Gray's Anatomy for making them part of the discussion.

Queens of the Stone Age is excellent. Audioslave definitely belongs on the short list. Velvet Revolver is very good as well; too bad they already flamed out.

Of course, some could argue Coldplay, which formed in the late 1990s but didn't release its first real album until 2000. You know, the one with that "Yellow" song on it.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Along with some of those already said, I think the Shins would have to be up there.

Edit: Good call on Bloc Party as well.

5. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I'll nominate Bloc Party.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Audioslave and Velvet Revolver should be on the list... It's a little sad since almost every member of both groups is better known for a previous band.

7. DBT, for me.
    Depends when Gangstabilly came out, I guess.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When Robert Plant and Alison Krauss teamed.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This might get more attention (and probably belongs) on the Anything Goes board.

That said, Coldplay, Postal Service and The Killers are all ones I enjoy quite a bit. When did Death Cab For Cutie start?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Coldplay, Arcade Fire, System of a Down, the Hives.

I'd say Explosions In The Sky should count, if their first release was in 2000 or later.

Arctic Monkeys are an acquired taste.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's my bad... If one of the moderators can move it, that would be great...

I think it says a lot that the bulk of the bands being mentioned are unheard of by mainstream fans...

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Everything since about 1985 reeks of epic fail.

Of the acts that have broken out since 2000, I'm going to have to go into country for the one I've latched onto the most: Gretchen Wilson. Even then, her third CD wasn't nearly as good as her first two were.

Draft saved Draft deleted