1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the appeal of jobs in media relations?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Babs

Babs Member

Why do people go into this? I really don't see the appeal of it. You spend your time trying to give out as little info as possible and monitoring what people are saying. Is it maybe all control freaks?

Wanna be a doctor? OK, you want to help people. Lawyer? You like to argue. Media relations? You want to be powerful in a very tiny circle???

I'm serious, help me understand.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your view has been clouded by some bad experiences, obviously. Your comments make it clear you have no clue what media relations entails, so a discussion does no good. What your comments sound like to me: Why does anyone want to be an asshole for a living?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Go talk with Claude Felton.

4. Moderator1

And that's why I became Moderator1.
    Kidding.
    Kidding.
    Just thought I'd beat some asshole to the punch.

5. Babs

Babs Member

Yes the question is based on bad experience, but also on some decent ones. Even during the decent ones, I wonder why someone wants that job. I would never want that job. So what is the appeal? What do they do that is rewarding to them? This is a serious question, as I said.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

7. Moderator1

What do you do that is that rewarding to you?

I have 31 years of experience in newspapers and three months in media relations so I can't really compare the two fairly yet. But I'm enjoying my job. I love giving the media the runaround and not telling them shit because, you know, that's what we do.

8. There are good ones, but I deal with one specifically who I cannot for the life of me understand how or why he is allowed to deal with the public.

I listen to him bitch about me and my brethren for asking normal questions and just can't understand why the hell he wants the damn job.

He's just an amazing douche.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but so are you and you don't see folks giving journalism a bad name because of it. ;D

10. Moderator1

He's on mediarelationsists.com now posting that he deals with this one reporter who is just an amazing douche.

It works both ways.

In my three months, I've probably caused a couple to think I'm an amazing douche.
    And a couple think I'm the most helpful person ever born.

It is a two-way street.

11. It's my job to be a douche, dammit.

Write-brained: Cleansing the dirty, stinky vagina that is government.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

atta kid. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted