1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "Pulp Fiction" ... about?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I wanted to come in here and have a serious conversation but then I saw someone say that Kill Bill 1 sucked and, clearly, there's just no reasoning with some people.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One interesting thing about postmodern homage and pastiche and Tarantino is that his audience seems to recognize few of the references as homage and pastiche.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I'll give an example.

In Kill Bill, Vol. 1, Uma Thurman's character is flying to Okinawa, or wherever the fuck, and they show her plane against a deep orange sky.

To 99.99 percent of the people who watched the movie, including myself the first time I saw it, if it was noticed at all, it was probably assumed to be some sort of artistic device Tarantino was using for ... who knows what for?

Actually, it was a tribute to an obscure Japanese sci-fi/vampire/alien invasion/paranoid psychological drama called Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell. Which, despite its poorly-translated title, is a pretty damn good movie.

But the only reason I know that myself is that I happened to watch Goke one night on TCM and they mentioned that it influenced that scene.

Tarantino liberally borrows from his influences, sometimes brilliantly, sometimes lazily. It's almost to the level of sampling, in its way. He's like the Beastie Boys/Dust Brothers of filmmakers.

Of course, Tarantino's own influences did the same thing. Sergio Leone "sampled" his favorite westerns and re-branded them. I just don't think Tarantino succeeds in that game as much as Leone did, because Leone had a style all his own. When Tarantino doesn't succeed within the limitations of his own limited style, it makes it look as if he's bereft of his own ideas.

The one that bugged me was when he used the main theme from Battle Of Algiers in Inglorious Basterds for the scene where they bust Stiglitz out of jail.

First of all, that music is not that obscure a reference for movie buffs. Secondly, Battle Of Algiers is a deadly serious movie. Using music from that particular film for a cutaway scene that combined elements of WWII action movie derring-do and blaxploitation hit me the wrong way.

The truth is that Tarantino probably just thought it was a bad-ass piece of Ennio Morricone music to put with that scene. But he ignores the context and meaning of what that music originally symbolized.

On the other hand, he borrowed Morricone's Un Amico for the scene where the German soldier shoots Shoshana dead in the projector room. The original use of the music was as end credits for some Oliver Reed Italian giallo movie from the early 70s. Tarantino took a great bit of music that was under-used in its original context and made it memorable.

So sometimes it works. But as the years go on, and Tarantino's styles haven't really grown much since Pulp Fiction, it seems a lot more cliched than it used to.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Great post.

I think maybe the worst case of this was 'Grindhouse,' in which re-imagining was so absent that the thing turned out not to be 'homage' at all - but was simply a couple of shitty b-movies.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. That movie sucked horse cock.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

The 'about' is what's on the screen

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Of course, it had the young Shoshanna. My mistake.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This thread made me want to go ahead and watch Pulp Fiction again last night.

Still too many scenes I just don't enjoy watching. Anything with Uma Thurman or Bruce Willis' girlfriend.

But the rest is just completely fucking amazing.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, I loved the girlfriend. "I want a pot."

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I realize that I'm probably one of the braindead few but I liked Death Proof. I thought it was entertaining and had some interesting things to say about the male gaze. The film starts out objectifying its female characters and in the end, sad loser Kurt Russell is triumphantly taken out by the second group of women he tries to victimize.

Fun fact about Tarantino. His mother named him after the Quentin Compson character in The Sound and The Fury. Unfortunately, she hadn't actuallly gotten around to reading the novel yet but wanted a "classy sounding" name.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The car chase was about as well done as any since Ronin, but overall, it wasn't as fun as I expected it to be.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Reservoir Dogs is my favourite Tarantino movie. Liked Basterds a lot, but why woulid it be offensive to Jews?

Draft saved Draft deleted