1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "Pulp Fiction" ... about?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree.

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I've always "Pulp Fiction" to be about the randomness of life and how being at the exact right/wrong place at the right/wrong time can have a huge impact on your life. Big things like Vincent happening to have pointed that gun in the backseat at Marvin when the car hits a bump (or the bullet at the beginning that "magically" didn't hit Vincent or Jules) to little things (like Butch driving back after retrieving his watch only to happen to hit the one guy he's never want to see again). The time fracturing of the storytelling enhances the randomness of time.

I'd also like to point out that "Jackie Brown" is vastly underrated while "Kill Bill Vol. 1" was so awful I didn't see the (supposedly much-better) second one.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've always thought that Tarantino scripts were all about creating vehicles for cool dialogue he dreams up. I almost want to think Tarantino imagines an absurd conversation about pork then comes up with a scene where that conversation can work: Two gangsters, fresh off a triple homicide and a panicked, ghastly clean up afterwards, sit in a diner and discuss the merits of eating pigs.

He also thought it might be bad ass to have an especially friendly and small-talking Nazi villain who will chit-chat about "formalities" or how Americans say "Bingo!" before executing a jew or delivering an ultimatum to the SIS or OSS.

It's almost like he thinks of dialogue, creates characters that would be perfect for the dialogue, then writes a script around the dialogue and the characters.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Jackie Brown is certainly very underrated.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Pulp Fiction is about feet. Like all of GT's movies, specifically women's feet.

And aside from Christoph Waltz's incredible performance, Basterds was pretty irritating. The most infamous man in Germany is in the bar scene and none of the clever Nazis recognize him? Why would the Germans care about one French family when the allies are already in France? etc.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the scene that begins the movie, pretty sure that understood to be a flashback to an earlier period of German occupation.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Pulp Fiction is pulp fiction: throwaway short stories loaded with dialogue printed on cheap paper.

It's storytelling for the sake of storytelling.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus, I think the point was to round up all the Jews.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hated Jackie Brown.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption.

- IMDB

11. joe

joe Active Member

About 20 minutes too long.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Tarantino throws in a lot of B-and-below movie allusions, I think, just for fun. I don't know that Kiss Me Deadly has much to do with Pulp Fiction, but it's impossible to watch the scene where they open the briefcase and not think of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted