1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "Pulp Fiction" ... about?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's kind of the conclusion that the two critics ultimately come to.

The idea is that a lot of people, particularly film geeks, want it to be "about" something more, because it's "that kind" of movie, if it makes any sense.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's just too much in Pulp Fiction I didn't enjoy. All of Uma Thurman's scenes, for example. I know those parts were "good" in the sense of quality filmmaking, but I just didn't enjoy them.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It had one scene that was better than any scene in the other two, but I'd rate Pulp and Dogs each as a whole higher than Basterds. But I loved all three.

I don't know if there was any grand meaning to Pulp Fiction. I think the title itself kind of tells you maybe not to look too hard for one.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All of Quentin Tarentino's movies are 'about' the same thing: making movies.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

http://travors.com/post/34064936/peter-hates-the-godfather-it-insists-upon

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's a homage to a genre of gimcrack literature. Not supposed to have a grand meaning

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem with it being his soul in the briefcase is that Tim Roth the diner robber would not have reacted that way to it.

"Is that what I think it is?" is not something some lowlife would say.

Maybe, "What the hell?" or "Jesus H. Christ!" or somesuch.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That pretty much nails it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

with a great soundtrack

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Disagree. Basterds has its moments -- Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz are fantastic in it -- but it's also a mess at times, laborious at others, and its ultimate theme is kind of repulsive.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

1. Basterds had two great scenes and is otherwise a hot mess.

2. Pulp Fiction is "about" the same thing The Big Lebowski and The Things They Carried are about -- telling stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted