1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Next for the NCAA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He provided receipts, yes, that he claims were him paying for athletes. Some of the athletes never corroborated that.

At any rate, I was curious how the NCAA could be slammed for relying on Yahoo's work, if there is, in fact, nothing wrong with Yahoo's work.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You don't have to. If the result is discriminatory, the intent is irrelevant.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And this means that the next NCAA head will likewise be hired and retained (or fired) on the same metric - how much money he makes for the NCAA's member universities. Let's not pretend that anything else matters to them.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'll quote another part:

"an employment practice or policy has a disproportionately adverse effect on members of the protected class as compared with non-members of the protected class."

How would the graduation rates be an practice or policy? Athletes of every race are under the same rules.

If the NCAA were to say that white athletes only had to achieve a 2.3 GPA for eligibilty, while blacks had to do a 2.6 GPA, then, yeah, there'd be a discrimination issue.

Otherwise, the non-BCS teams could claim disparate impact and sue the NCAA and each individual bowl for more bowl revenues.

5. silent_h

silent_h Member

Good question. I think the target of my satire was unclear. The NCAA went zealously and stupidly overboard in trying to investigate Miami based on the Yahoo report, but in the presser, Emmert dismissed the Auburn report as "a newspaper article."

To me, it's just another example - and there are only, like, half a million - of the NCAA using semantics and framing for situational advantage while pretending to have consistent principles.

As for Yahoo, I haven't seen all of their supporting evidence, but since no one has sued or called any of it into serious question, it doesn't appear to be an erroneous report. Have people raised questions with the factual content? I may have missed that.

Personally, I was a fan of the effort and legwork that went into the Yahoo story, but not so much a fan of the story itself. I tend to fall into the Craggs camp of not wanting to see journalists become the beat cops enforcing an inherently immoral system.

To answer your other question, I think the NCAA should at least be held to the standards it sets for itself - however bogus and PR-oriented they are - and it definitely failed to do so with its Miami investigation.

Again, good questions and lots to think about.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Pretty classless. It's too easy for some yahoo sitting at a computer to blab on about how someone else (coach, AD, president, etc.) should resign or be fired.

The majority of sportswriters I've known can't manage their own personl budget, so they're now the experts on leading a multi-million dollar business?

Draft saved Draft deleted