1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Next for the NCAA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 4, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The article about the lack of medical coverage for student athletes in today's NYTimes should push the NCAA into NAMBLA & KKK territory. That it took this long for the national media to expose this is peculiar.

NCAA's media partners are the unidicted co-conspirators in this farce and scam called college basketball and football.

2. silent_h

silent_h Member

Couple of things I've written recently that touch on much of what is being discussed here:

The Gold-Plating of College Sports:
    http://bit.ly/WB6C7c

Follow-up mailbag to the above, also gets into dismantling the entire current system:
    http://bit.ly/10w1tg8

Emmert presser, translated into English:
    http://bit.ly/Xtx3hO

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was about to say Patrick Hruby has been killing it. Really great work.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NCAA would be wise to use a board of directors of college presidents overseeing a strong "commissioner" (somebody with academic, tv, athletic and enforcement experience), maybe a US Senator or an Olympics official. Getting a doctorate in public administration with a background in navigating campus politics and attending a few NCAA board meetings a year clearly isn't enough.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent job, Patrick.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm no big fan of Mark Emmert, but let's face it: Many of the national reporters in that audience had ripped him a new asshole for a year. Some of those same reporters have flung off any prayer of objectivity and called for the end of the NCAA and a new era of free market college athletics.

What kind of Mark Emmert did they - or you - expect on Thursday?

The NCAA has made its share of mistakes. But, at this point, you have writers who will mock any answer Emmert gives. I'm surprised those writers have been allowed to take their argument as far as they have, but they have, and if they get a little bit of their own medicine, so be it.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In your final piece, you reference the NCAA investigating Miami on the word of a Ponzi schemer. Do you then believe the Yahoo work was flawed? Or should the NCAA's standard be higher than that of Yahoo, a corporate entity that has more money than the NCAA does?

I've never been real fond of the original Yahoo stories, but journalists roundly hailed them.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I give Emmert props for some attempts at reform, like multi-year scholarships and stipends. But we saw how long that lasted. No one seems willing to kill the fatted calf that would bring reform.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

People seem to forget this, as if the NCAA is so some free-floating organization. If the membership wants Mark Emmert to be an asshole, he will be one. If the membership decides they don't want that anymore, he will be gone.

Also, as to why schools don't just leave the NCAA -- there's a brand name there, and it still gives the veneer of "student-athlete" that fans crave. I'm sure the big schools in the SEC have done the calculations on this.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NCAA, Louisville and Adidas step in it again. A T-shirt with Kevin Ware's number on it gets pulled because, well, that would mean the kid would be marketing the shirt. And that can't happen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--kevin-ware-t-shirt-debacle-another-example-of-why-ncaa-is-under-attack-210708122.html

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The fiasco with the Kevin Ware t-shirts makes me think the NCAA should just lift the marketing ban and start allowing players likenesses (and numbers) to be used and use that money for a players fund endowment that would operate like a pension for players once they have graduated (rather than used up all of their eligibility).

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Can't do that last part. You open yourself up to discrimination lawsuits -- the graduation rate among black athletes is much lower than that of white athletes.

Draft saved Draft deleted