1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joes_fanclub, Mar 19, 2007.

1. joes_fanclub

joes_fanclub New Member

Had this for a panel discussion topic with regards to "new media" and just wanted to get some thoughts. What is journalism and who are journalists? Do they have to work for a print/broadcast outlet? Do Web journalists count, or is that an oxymoron of sorts? Are bloggers journalists? Is Matt Drudge a journalist?

What do you guys think?

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What about this guy?

[​IMG]

3. joes_fanclub

joes_fanclub New Member

Best. Reply. Ever.

4. joes_fanclub

joes_fanclub New Member

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Whenever I have to fill out the little space on a form that say occupation, I write journalist. If you practice the First Amendment right to a free press, then you are a journalist. If you believe everyone has a voice and a right to express that voice, then you are a journalist. At its purest level, anyone who believes no opinion, no story, no voice should be left unheard, is a journalist.
    That's my idealistic point of view. We in the working press have no special rights or privileges. We have extremely powerful media to practice journalism. And a great responsibility not to abuse that power.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ohio and The Plain Dealer would like to know:

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stories/index.ssf?/base/other/1174033939292580.xml&coll=2

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

No he's not a journalist, he's a butcher of the English language.

Draft saved Draft deleted