1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it with these Miss USA contestants?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

I'm sure there's a morality clause that goes along with the title (Miss Wherever). Sure, none of the "contestants" are as pure as the driven snow -- and everybody already knows that -- but, once you get a title, you're held to a high standard than those who don't have one. Think about it, if she was Jane Doe this wouldn't be such a big deal. And sure, being Miss Wherever is usually 15 minutes of fame for someone. But, during those 15 minutes, all eyes and digital cameras are trained on you. Seems like someone should have told the young lady that beforehand.

As far as Rosie goes, she has a right to her opinion -- but, she's wrong. This has little to do with The Donald's track record and more to do with the image of Miss Wherever. If we're saying that it's perfectly acceptable for Miss Wherever to be out tounging down other chicks in public, then move the festivities to the local strip club of your choice where Cinnamon, Destiny or Alize' can have a shot at the title too.

Play on.

2. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

No offense, but that's ridiculous. Maybe in some utopian society, everyone will be judged by the same standard. But, back here in real world...if Miss Wherever decides to go GGW, she may be stripped of her title. Just like if you went GGW (Guys Gone Wild, which seems a little gay odd to me), you may get your walking papers from the publication/station/etc. that you work for today.

3. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

I agree with that part and I also hate it when Entertainment Tonight is somehow referred to as "journalism." But, this is the world we live in, dude. And everybody knows that once you gain the slightest measure of fame, more is expected of you. Like I said before, her handlers should have (and I'm sure they did at some point) illuminated the terrain for her. There are lots of people waiting for you to screw up so they can record the evidence of said screw-up for posterity.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'll say this about Miss Nevada: If she's not a lesbian, I guarantee you the lesbian community, after seeing that tongue, has a full-court press recruitment under way.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, that's what's going to bring us down. ::) ::)

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The difference, I'm sure, is in the evidence. I've wondered about exactly what Miss USA did, because I haven't seen a single snapshot or piece of grainy video from a cell phone capturing her escapades. Maybe it's because nobody really give a crap what Miss USA does because that's way less prestigious than Miss America. In fact, if it wasn't for personal testimony on this board about the girl's partying past ways in KY (the state, not the jelly), I'd say The Donald drummed this up to boost the pageant's visibility.

Sidebar: Interesting links from Romenesko today from the hometown weekly:
    http://www.uky.edu/CommInfoStudies/IRJCI/Wells.htm
    http://russellcounty.net/06/story01.shtml

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Damn. I feel dumber for having read this post.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. Just ... wow. Thanks, ifilus.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Merry Xmas

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I haven't received my Secret Santa gift yet, but I'll take this instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted