1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is it about accents?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

true. hence why i love southern accents, though i wonder what welsh sounds like? is it like the dude in notting hill? he does wear bubbler undies, which freaks me out in hindsight.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

There you go. Rhys Ifans, I think. If that's right, yep -- he's Welsh.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Scottish is sexy. Australian is very sexy.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I dunno, maybe its because I'm from the area, but the Boston/RI/Downeast Maine accent does nothing for me. Its kind of grating as a matter of fact. A nice southern accent on the other hand is gold. Foreign accents are a different story. Do like a British accent, but really do so want to go to Ireland (I'm not even Irish).

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seriously? Damn. A Ferguson-Shirley Manson interview would make me want to go Reservoir Dogs on my own ears.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The Kangaroos!!!

I love accents, one of my best friends is Greek and her accent makes my knees weak. Oddly enough her brother has no trace of an accent but hers is very thick.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry Bubbs, but I'm smitten by a lass with a hint of Gaelic in her voice as well. A Scottish accent is close to a true, deep Southern accent for me.

In grad school, I faked a Scottish accent and picked up a girl at a bar. We dated for two months before I broke it off. Sometimes I wonder if she still tells friends of the Scottish dude she dated back in the summer of 1991.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My mom's family is originally from eastern Kentucky. My grandfather used to talked about driving to "Cincinnat-ah" as a young man to see the Reds play.

Both my parents grew up in south Mississippi. As you might imagine, just about everyone I'm related to has a strong Southern accent. It's not as cool as you think when you have to listen to it all the time.

On the other hand, my mom was recently hospitalized in New Orleans (she's OK now) and all the nurses coming in and out of the room had thick New Orleans accents (a la Dr. John or Harry Connick Jr.). I could listen to those people talk all day.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

So, so dreamy.

The Aussies are on the shade of sexy, too.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Fortunately, my wife, though from the south side of Chicago, does not sound like Dennis Franz.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for Newfie accents.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

IJAG....call me, I have the worst Boston accent you'll ever hear. I can't pronounce an "R" to save my life....and now my 2 year old son is pointing out "cah's!" all day long. Mrs.Larry has a french accent.....I don't even notice it much anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted