1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is going on in Washington?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jul 16, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Indeed, though I didn't see anyone from The Athletic hyping it up beforehand. Perhaps there was concern that the outlet was too close to the incident, since it involved one its own? Not sure I buy that, but that could be the thought.

As far as the problematic journalists, it's been my experience that it's mostly local radio and TV reporters. They were the most prominent hypers with this story, though there were others. It's been my experience that many local TV/radio crews are more concerned with access than investigative work. I'm not absolving print/web/national broadcasters. And not every local TV/radio crew does it. It's just been my experience.

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Alma likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good story.

I imagine The Athletic stayed out of it to give respect to the writer - personally, I found what happened to her to be among the worst things, just a shocking diminishment of a professional journalist.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was way more to that story than Rhiannon Walker's sexual harassment incident. The WaPo story documents a pattern with multiple incidents, and the reporting involved interviews with more than 40 current and former employees and a review of text messages and internal company documents. The Athletic was probably aware of just the incident involving their reporter, but not aware of the rest of it. I can see them not going public with a story about one of their reporters saying she was sexually harassed. What they had was one incident that makes them part of the story, involving just one person in the organization. What the WaPo put together runs through the entire organization and involves a lot of incidents.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read the story.

I'm gonna guess bits and pieces of it were known by lots of journalists. The key was getting someone to go on the record - which the Post did.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is my sense, too, but who knows? I get the feeling everyone knew bits and pieces of shitty little things, but the two WaPo reporters were the ones who went out and did the work to put it all together. I know a lot of people were disappointed because of the way the thing was teased by a bunch of people on twitter creating silly expectations. But it's a very damning story about the culture within the organization, and it's pretty well done. They did a fine job in piecing it all together.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A timeline on this would be fascinating. It started with national and other DC media and then spread to fanboi Twitter, where the allegations became more and more disturbing -- sexual assault vs. sexual harassment -- and specific (and false.)

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Athletic knew about the incidents and went to the team, this is covered in the Post story.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It also appears that D.C. is the first to officially kick high school football to the spring, so that's the other thing going on in Washington.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

not to thread jack but how the F is that supposed to work alongside baseball and lacrosse

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Washington Post sez ...

Winter sports — basketball and indoor track — will be the first teams tentatively planning to be back in action, with practices scheduled to begin Dec. 14 and games ranging from Jan. 4 to Feb. 28.
    Fall sports — cross-country, football, volleyball and soccer — are scheduled to get underway Feb. 1, with games starting Feb. 22 and concluding April 16.
    Spring sports — baseball, softball, tennis, ultimate disc, chess and track and field — are set to start March 29.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ostpones-fall-sports-plans-football-february/

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted