1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is going on in Chicago the first weekend of June?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rufino, May 15, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I was trying to line up a hotel for a trip and there is literally nothing available within ten miles of downtown. There doesn't seem to be any kind of giant concert going on that would explain a huge influx of out-of-towners, and I don't think it's for Cubs-Braves. Any SportsJournalists.com folks have a clue what's up?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

taste of chicago?

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Blues Fest

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup finals...

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Blues Fest runs June 7-10.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Chicago is a huge convention town. It's not unusual to find rooms scarce anytime in the summer.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Taste of Chicago usually runs the week before a July 4 weekend, leading up to the fireworks display off Navy Pier.

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

Gotta be a convention...They usually don't fill up for the Taste or Bluesfest...

Almost got a spit-take for the Blackhawks playing for the Cup. Very funny.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I aims to please

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Funny, I had the same experience about a month ago trying to find a hotel there for this weekend coming up. No room at the inns.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It happened to me, too, a few years back, in mid-June. I eventually really lucked out, getting a room at the Ritz-Carlton through my friend's husband's law firm at the last minute, and only because the firm does a lot of business with the R-C. On my own, I couldn't find a room anywhere, except out by O'Hare. There was no one big event, just a lot of them, all at once. Good luck finding something.

Draft saved Draft deleted