1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Derrick Rose's ceiling?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 16, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

After last night's whupping, if the nation didn't know about Derrick Rose before, they do now. I understand it wasn't one of his greatest statistical nights, but he's the face of the Bulls franchise, the franchise known for you-know-who. Regardless of what happens the rest of the series, I think he made a huge splash by leading his team to an absolute ass-whipping of the team most casual fans consider the cream of the NBA.

Anyway, the guy is MVP at age 22, and I wonder what's in store for his career trajectory. I think there's a feeling out there that if he wants a title, he better win it now, because the Heat will get some players around the Big 2 1/2 after this year and have a five-year run or so in the East. I'm sure some are skeptical because Rose is short by NBA guard standards, and there's still the idea of, "Get rid of the ball, little man." Is Rose an all-time great in the making? A guy who changes the game? One-season wonder? Perennial All-Star who isn't quite a legend?

Been loving all the NBA talk around here lately.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He will not be a one-season wonder. He'll be an MVP contender every year and is the best point guard in the game.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only way the Heat get better players is if the Big Three take paycuts to get better players or if some play for the veteran's minimum. That's certainly possible.

Rose is only going to get better and so are the Bulls.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1) if the nation doesn't know about the current league MVP, I don't think the nation is ever going to want to know.

2) you are giving the Big 2 1/2 too much credit. They are going to be affected by can't-win-the-big-one loserdom more often than not in the next five years.

3) I just wish Rose was finishing up his senior year of college so he could properly learn the fundamentals like all the great players used to do.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just want more players like Rose and Durant in the NBA and fewer like LeBron, but I guess every league needs some player to root against.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sometimes people make the argument, what's the difference between Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook, given statistically they're both similar? Westbrook is great, but Rose just seems to have a better sense of what his team needs from him. You rarely see a play Rose makes where you think, "What the hell was he thinking?" My god, I don't want to imagine how good Rose would look if he had his own Durant.

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

I have a number of friends who have worked the Bulls scorer's table for years. They are crusty old guys wowed by nothing. I've heard a few of them mention him and No. 23 in the same breath. Not that they think he's Jordan because there will never be another, but because they think Rose is tremendous. I'm always skeptical when I hear Rose already mentioned with some of the all-time greats because it's so early in his career but many these guys view him that way, which is quite a compliment. He's really, really good.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Plus if the cap gets lower, the Heat get screwed. The only way Miami is going to get a good role player is by hitting on a late first or second round pick (possible, but I know they gave up a bunch of picks to do sign and trades for LeBron and Bosh and the Bulls actually have their No. 1 this year) or get someone who is actually good, unlike Juwan Howard or Z, to take the minimum or close to it.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I think he is at or very very close to his ceiling, which is already very high. He will be a great player but out of that best of a generation conversation. I forget who I first saw say this (Whitlock?) but the comparison to Allen Iverson is a good one to me. He won an MVP, even led the 76ers to the Finals once, but he isn't really a PG. Tremendous scorer who is too short to play SG and not quite the distributor for a true PG. He's in between. Still one of the best players in the league but will always be a step short of being truly THE best player.

AI's and DRose's games aren't exactly the same and I'm not saying they are. DRose is able to drive and take the hit in the paint better than AI. AI was more of a jump shooter, although he could drive with his quickness. DRose's better size allows him to be more effective as a driver but they both have very similar talents. AI was a better outside shooter, DRose is better at taking the contact in the paint but overall they are quite similar.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention that he doesn't appear cursed by AI's character flaws.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

That too.

12. First of all, Rose and Iverson aren't even in the same stratosphere in terms of players. Rose is a point guard, a true point guard, but like all great players with great IQ, he knows that the best chance his team has to win is for him to score points.

Secondly, he's not short by NBA standards for his position. He's 6-3, which is perfect point guard height.

Thirdly, he's improved his game immeasurably in a short period of time by developing a three-pointer and a mid-range game, neither of which he had when he came into the league.

Fourth, he's already the best pg in the league and may be the most physically gifted point guard that we've seen in quite some time.

Fifth, he "gets it"....just like Durant. He's great off and on the court, real humble with it

Draft saved Draft deleted