1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is and is not a sport?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Exactly. People getting drunk or high while bowling or golfing usually are just fucking around. Just because some people fuck around while doing it for fun doesn't mean it's not a sport.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So the weight of the object involved makes a difference in whether it's a sport or not? Really?

3. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

I've had people try to tell me that horse racing is not a sport but I've always begged to differ.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Has either a clock or ball -- sport

No clock and no ball -- not a sport

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So chess is a sport then if the moves are timed?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i thought the same thing.
    ping pong is super fucked in this discussion.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and yeah, i'd argue that ping pong is way, way more of a sport than bowling.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

David Eckstein....not a Jew.

Oh, a sport. Never mind.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My defining line, if costumes play a role or marks are given for "artistic impression" in the performance, then no. Not a sport. Tough shit for figure skating, ballroom dancing, cheerleading and gymnastics. Athletic yes, sport no.

I can't say any event that requires a judge is not a sport because then sports like boxing and MMA would suddenly no longer be sports.

So that means things like bowling, golf, curling, softball, etc. they're in.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Have you ever actually watched football? Most linemen are insane athletic and have pretty good speed; tough to to tell when they get outrun by guys with world-class speed.
    To play sports, you need defense. No defense, not a sport.
    Bowling and golf are games. Track and field and swim is competitive exercise.
    That's not to say those people aren't athletes. They're just not playing sports.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not all games are sports, although many sports are games.

Bowling?

Mostly game, but no less a sport than curling.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd agree that gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming, cheerleading are all glorified dance contests and I wouldn't classify them as sports.

That said, defining "sport" ultimately is an eye-of-the-beholder pursuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted