1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a standard rate for freelance copywriting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Sep 16, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a business that produces custom publications (some of it content marketing -- newsletters, white papers, etc.) for businesses and organizations. It is full turnkey work usually, not just writing and editing, so I price most things on a project basis. It is hard to say exactly what is appropriate for the OP's client, because a mom & pop trucking company is different than a Fortune 500 company.

But if I ever charge for something written by the word, it starts at $1.25 a word (these are mostly big companies) and works its way up, depending on the client and the expertise needed for the work.

If you are billing your work out by the hour, reformed is right. Take into account not only what you get paid, but your overhead (supplies, electricity, equipment, etc., health insurance, etc.), and price it in.

I can easily hire a writer for a project, bill a client $150 an hour and pay a writer $75 an hour. So for your trucking company -- if you have low overhead, and you don't feel the need to pay yourself a premium for having had to market yourself and find the work -- if you are confident that you offer quality work, I'd consider a minimum of $75 an hour.

Remember, when you negotiate with someone you can always negotiate down (and they feel like they got something), but you can't negotiate up. So consider throwing out a number like $150 an hour, maybe, and be prepared to come down from there if you really want the work. Also, it usually works out best if you are good at estimating the time commitment and pricing it by the project, rather than giving an hourly rate. The sticker shock can seem like less that way, even though you are getting paid the same amount you would.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I did some freelance design work for a local magazine years back, and when I took the job, I asked one of our long-time graphic designers what he'd charge. He told me to take my hourly wage and triple it. At the time, I thought there was no way I could ask for that so all I did was double it. Looking back, I feel like an idiot for not asking for more. Moral of the story: Don't feel bad about asking for a high number. Like Ragu said, you can always negotiate down, but you can't negotiate up.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have an LLC that charges school divisions $65 an hour. My main focus is their maintenance departments, and subbed work usually runs them between $75 and $85 an hour.

They never question how many hours I have worked for them, and since it is a side gig, I am not totally concerned with getting top dollar.

What is smart, as evidenced on this thread, is research the going rate. If I were to bid out $150 an hour, I would never get a foot in the door because it is way more than they are used to paying.

And set up an LLC, if your state has a business friendly system for them, if you think this will be consistent work. I think I pay $80 a year for mine.

I will add that a consistently bill for about 20 hours a month, so I am like a part time employee for them.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, we are so used to being woefully underpaid it feels weird when you break out into the media relations sector and money is available. Shoot high, like others have said, you can negotiate to a lower price, not a higher one.

Draft saved Draft deleted