1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a promotion to you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illinoissportseditor, Oct 4, 2008.

1. I have thought about this for a while and wanted to get other people's thoughts on this subject. I am a sports editor for a six day (M-Sa) paper in southern Illinois with a circulation of about 9,000. I have a stringer and the managing editor helps out Friday night's, but I'm pretty much on my own.

Really my question boils down to this...My former boss (managing editor) first broke in the business as a sports guy. At the same newspaper, the news editor also started in sports. My new job, the managing editor also started in sports. Basically, has anyone here been tempted to move on to a news editor position? I have wondered whether one day I will move away from covering sports full time and try something different in the business.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

well, the hours are certainly better

3. ya know, i've always wondered about people who give such specific information on here and criticize their "staff," or in this case a "very weak" stringer.

now, maybe there are 30 or 40 papers in southern illinois that fit the description - circ. of 9,000 or so that publishes monday through saturday with a managing editor who writes sports and a news editor who started in sports

maybe not though

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, dude.

To answer the question, though: I think a promotion is all in your mind. What makes you happy(ier) -- more money, more/less responsibility, better hours, more/some vacation, etc. Personally, respect and personal satisfaction were big perks in my last switch; although it wasn't really a promotion, per se -- I consider a promotion to be an in-house move.

It's not always about going up in circulation size, though I used to think that was the be-all, end-all in this business. It's finding the "perfect" situation, or at least close to it.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Different strokes for different folks. Some people are sports people who find a good place in the world of sports through newspaper coverage (assuming that there is talent there in terms of the newspaper side of things). Others are newspaper people who happen to be in sports.

Know who you are.

And quit calling out my work. I string the best I can for you.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Couldn't agree more.
    I'm at a major metro, I hate my job now, but make great coin.
    No way do I consider the move I made a promotion, but others have told me so.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Recently made the jump to the news side of things. The hours are much better, weekends are generally free which is nice; but I'm not as interested in what I'm covering. Kind of miss going to the games sometimes, or just getting out of the office more.

Basically it is what it is.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of sports editors become managing or news editors. Some are happy in that position. Most of the ones I've known eventually end up back in sports.

I had a chance in April to move up to ME if I'd wanted to since our then-ME was leaving the biz (her hub hated her hours after we switched to mornings). I even think our publisher was hoping I'd take it. But I knew that if I took the position, I'd have more responsibilities in areas that I have no interest in (especially in things like making the budget for the year and writing out evaluations for the staff) and I wouldn't be happy, no matter how much extra scratch I was going to make.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my M.E. is the former sports editor. he still thinks he can run the department better than I can.
    But everytime I tell him to come on out and crank out some pages because we're under staffed, he doesn't because he can't.
    but he's always willing to go cover a college game if I need him.

that said, he does help out a ton on high school fridays. and he did hire me way back when, so I'm not complaining a whole lot. just sayin' things have changed a lot since he sat in the SE chair.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

When it really comes down to it, for me a promotion means more pay.

Have had one semi-legit raise in three years and haven't had a single cost-of-living increase.

If I was bringing home a little more money, I'd consider it a promotion -- but that is because that's the only thing that would make me happier in my current position. I like the beat I'm on and don't think there are many bigger or better than it.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

One of my old SEs is now a news editor. It seemed like a good move for him. He now has more time with his family, and he says he can work on editing more now that he doesn't have to design.

Draft saved Draft deleted