1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is 10 Billion Dollars A Month?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's precisely the point. Why the hell do WE need to respond to everything last thing that happens around the globe? We can't afford it anymore.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do you handle the massive spike in unemployment when people who work in defense-related jobs are downsized due to cutbacks in our military force?

We can't afford that either.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

That's the trouble. Our military has grown into playing two roles. One is protecting and defending America (and its interests) around the world. The other is a subsidizing the defense/high tech sector, as well as providing a permanent Keynesian stimulus.

How do we change that? I don't know? At least, to start with, being honest about the two roles?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But is it worth sacrificing lives to keep the "military industrial complex" going?

6. Mizzougrad96

I agree with you 100 percent on not sacrifing lives for this "Cause" or this "Complex"

The fact of the matter is, we can't afford to do this anymore.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course not, but if you're going to force downsizing you better have a plan to find jobs for the people who are going to be out of work.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The danger we face is the same fate that befell other world empires in the past. They found themselves overextended, turned inward, and the next thing you know the Visigoths are strolling down the Appian Way.

9. Mizzougrad96

Man, you elect a democratic president and he escalates a couple wars and won't make a ruling on gay marriage.

10. Boom_70

or close Gitmo, or shut down Patriot act,

He has my vote for 2012.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm never going to agree with much that Obama does from an economy standpoint, but I was actually quite hopeful that he would end the war and legalize gay marriage.

12. Boom_70

Again - time to take our money and troops home.

Draft saved Draft deleted