1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is 10 Billion Dollars A Month?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 10, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The people who say we should cut off war funding/foreign aid are the first ones who would have a poo in the carpet if we actually tried to spend that money on domestic projects.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So because that did not happen we should continue to spend billions?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This sort of ties into what Bob Gates talked about in Europe today. I loved what he had to say, personally.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's time to go. I agree with most of the sentiments already posted.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think some of it comes down to...

Is it better to try to police the world when our economy is rapidly collapsing or would it be better to pull our resources out of Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen and wherever the fuck else we are and put those resources toward making this country great again?

I don't think we're making a blip over there and it's time to cut our losses.

6. Boom_70

I did too. This is the money shot:

“The blunt reality is that there will be dwindling appetite and patience in the U.S. Congress — and in the American body politic writ large — to expend increasingly precious funds on behalf of nations that are apparently unwilling to devote the necessary resources or make the necessary changes to be serious and capable partners in their own defense,”

Currently USA funds 3/4 of overall NATO budget.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Put in a draft. No exceptions. When Congressmen have to send their kids to Afghanistan and Iraq, then we'll see a serious discussion.

8. Boom_70

Certainly could have some merit. During Viet Nam war I remember that the draft seemed to cause a lot of angst.

I doubt that there is even one politician in Washington that would be willing to take that idea on. It's the proverbial 3rd rail.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I seem to recall a certain political party kept screaming "Cut and Run!" every time someone suggested we get out of Iraq.

And NOW it's too expensive to be in Afghanistan, which was hosting the terrorists that attacked us? Why all of a sudden a change of heart?

Getting out of Iraq? Definitely. We shouldn't have been there anyways.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Rangel introduces bill to reinstate draft

January 07, 2003

Rep. Charles Rangel introduced a bill in Congress Tuesday to reinstate the military draft, saying fighting forces should more closely reflect the economic makeup of the nation.

http://articles.cnn.com/2003-01-07/politics/rangel.draft_1_military-draft-rangel-poor-fight?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Right. Because the rich and monied have never figured out ways around the draft. No exceptions and all.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The President wants to bring the troops home yet, politically, he cannot.

He is 17 months from re-election. He cannot bring hundreds of thousands of military members home to a country that isn't hiring. Unemployment will continue to uptick and 2012 will be flooded with stories of how a sergeant who kept his men from roadside bombs can't get a job at Starbucks to feed his three kids.

That's political suicide for him to risk.

If unemployment was 6 or 7%, our troop drawdown would be much more dramatic.

As for Mr. Biden's daily line during the 2008 campaign, "$10 billion dollars a month in Iraq!"... once the stimulus passed, $10 billion a month became a forgotten phrase by early 2009. 10B a month was chicken feed by that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted