1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What in the world is going on in Cleveland???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wordguru, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Didn't the dollar go a lot further back then, too? ;D

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

spnited will love this one. The Huntsville Times has a columnist in Beijing. What it doesn't have any more are Alabama and Auburn beat writers. It now runs copy from Mobile.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed the natives haven't complained. Loudly.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When we decided to go the correspondent route, we were looking at about $10,000 to send someone to Beijing.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Don't forget the cost of the Olympic trials, too, for anyone who may be at the Games right now.

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Huntsville: Is there a new top editor there? Maybe he/she will straighten things out.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Report on Cleveland public radio this weekend -- PD publisher says ad revenue is worst since Great Depression and more paring is needed:

http://www.wcpn.org/index.php/WCPN/news/13517/

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Shee-eeeeee-it! I don't see an FDR in this presidential race.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Guess we all gotta speak for ourselves on this one. I've seen the Olympics on TV in at least three different restaurants/bars this week, heard people talking about it and know quite a few people -- including non-journos, and including non-sports people -- who are interested in at least some aspect of the Olympics.

And not sure where your local haunts are, but out West ... ain't nobody gettin' their fix straight from NBC. Not when last night's relay race, which I was dying to see and heard about from friends back home immediately afterward ... wasn't shown on TV for more than three damn hours because of the stupid East Coast bias. NBC's pissing off quite a few people out here, with its insistence on showing events live back East but delaying everything here.

Just sayin'. Not everybody's got the same experience.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have to admit, since writing the original post, I've heard a lot of chatter about the Olympios.

On the other hand, what they're getting, they're getting from NBC and the Web (the latter in real time).

Newspapers are doubly hamstrung by the time difference. My local paper had Dara Torres' relay silver on today's sports front -- long after it happened.

So I'm going to change one part to say that a lot of people DO seem to be interested in the Olympics. But I'm not really going to give up much on the second -- they're not going to use their AM papers as their main source of what's getting them excited.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

amen, bucky, amen.

Draft saved Draft deleted