1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What in the hell happened here?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 17, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Really?

Spartan Squad and Stoney like this.
  3. YankeeFan

100%.

You don't have to convince me that there are bad cops, or that cops cover for each other.

These problems need to be fixed. We don't do that by convicting cops, like the one who shot Big Mike, in the court of public opinion, based on a narrative, written by a PR professional, and parrotted by those in the media looking to enact social change, and not to find the truth.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's different in New York and Chicago, but I can tell you most Cops who I've known from my police reporter days weren't liberal. Yes, they're union, but those unions and the firemen unions have been aligning more with GOP causes because they're being spared in collective bargaining reforms. When Scott Walker rammed through the Wisconsin changes cops and fire were excluded.

Additionally, most cops are staunch NRA/second amendment people and usually own an arsenal of guns. Those guys ain't backing Nancy Pelosi.

This said, I'm all for pulling some of the union's teeth in order to remove jackasses. I know you're a big proponent of making changes to teachers unions for the same reason. I think a shitty cop is a much bigger danger to a community than a shitty teacher, and threads like this one are why.

5. YankeeFan

What does that have to do with anything?

It's the (mostly liberal) politicians who have caved in contract negotiations.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I covered that in the following sentences. The politicians omitting them from any overhaul of collective bargaining have been republican.

What party is Scott Walker again?

Unions that backed Walker faring better than others

And what party was Tom Corbett? If liberal politicians are the ones giving them all of the toys, why did the PA FOP endorse a Republican candidate for governor. I can tell you PA police officers, especially State Troopers, hated liberal Ed Rendell when he was governor.

Police union endorses Tom Corbett in gubernatorial race

I'll give Republicans this: They're doing a great job of wooing police unions over to their side, using the second amendment and promises of more spending as bait.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If they won't go, we could just send in social workers. [/alma]

cjericho likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Cops seem to be awful easy to scare these days. How many times do we hear the excuse that they were in fear for their lives so they fired away? Jeez guys. If you're going to act like a frightened rabbit find another job.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's cultural. They share videos of cops being shot with each other on Facebook and talk up how it's a war out there on the streets.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Michael Brown shooting was about the only one of the recent, more publicized incidents, where I sided with the cop. That narrative of the gentle giant was pure fiction and the witnesses lied their asses off.
    But Castille? Cleveland? South Carolina? Tulsa? And now Minneapolis? Cops at fault. At the very least, they escalated situations that wouldn't have risen to that level of crisis if the civilian had been white.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Day after the shooting, I got a call from the National Patrolman's Association, looking for donations. I said two words: "Justine Damond," and hung up. Seriously, guys? The day AFTER this horseshit example from the thin blue line is the time to go cold-calling for donations?!?!

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

And, oh — that loud noise? Maybe lay off the burritos for lunch if you're going to be that jumpy.

And how about pairing rookies with a veteran in a squad? The elder officer here had all of two years on the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted