1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Mar 6, 2009.

1. times38

times38 Member

but then you really could cost those kids scholarships

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I was a reporter for five years and an SID for six. At my first SID stop, I went to grad school (great discount on tutition for employees) and got my master's in journalism. I taught a class at that school after I graduated and then we moved back to our hometown to be closer to families. Because I had taught that one class, I got on as an adjunct at my alma mater, a major university. After teaching there for a year part-time, I was offered a full-time lecturer gig, which I happily accepted. Best move I ever made. And, with the flexible schedule I have, I still do a lot of freelancing, so I don't miss out entirely on the writing side of things. PM if you want to know more.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I'm very close to starting a family, so I've been thinking seriously about getting into something that will give me the most possible time at home with the baby.

4. how do you mean?

5. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Law school. Definitely missed the boat on that one.

6. No regrets here. But if journalism fails, I think I'll try to open a bakery. I've discovered a love for baking cheesecake.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I toyed with a career of sending folks emails claiming to be a Nigerian prince needing help getting money out of the country, but my grammar was too good so I went into journalism.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If there ever is a Nigerian prince who honestly comes about that problem, he is so screwed.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If I'd known, I would have stuck with the computer tech/network tech stuff I did in high school. Buddy of mine from our first summer job as computer geeks just bought a $400k house (for himself ... no SO, no dog, nothing) a few blocks from my folks, who I'm currently living with. FML.

If I had to do it now, I'd get a teaching degree and be one of those teachers who only teaches so they can coach (because the hours are perfect together). Or be a fitness trainer and HS coach.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I regret it. Every single day.

I realized my sophomore year in college I was headed down the wrong path. But, by then, it would have added at least one year onto my undergraduate degree to switch majors. So I just kept plugging along with the support of my parents, who said I had "a gift."

These days, just about everything about my job depresses me. The low pay. The furloughs. The lack of staffing. The haphazard job eliminations.

Yet like most people, I feel fortunate simply to be employed at this point, and I keep plugging along hoping for brighter, better days.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no 401k match six months ago, no COL in january, no raise after your evaluation come june and the F-word in november. let's see if you're still happy to be plugging along a year from now.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I got the number of that truck-driving school. Truckmasters, I think it was. Maybe I should call them ...

Draft saved Draft deleted