1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if....?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Just a random thought here, but what given the overall regret I seem to read so much of on these boards, I was just curious what everyone who wishes now they hadn't studied journalism in college or gotten into the field would do given an opportunity to go back in time and do something different?

Or would you, even?

I'll get started....

As for me, I'm one of those wacky college kids about to graduate with high hopes and unshakable resolve and am convinced enough of my own ability that I'll make it big in the journalism world. BUT, if that fails, I'll probably return to school in a few years and get either an MBA or JD.

Or just move to Africa or somewhere like that and help the poor hungry people be happy. (Seriously. I might.)

How about all of you?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Restaurants.
    Guy I worked for in high school is now one of the three principles in the company that owns Outback, Bonefish, Carrabba's
    Shit. Shit.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My wife and I would drive around the country in a van, helping people solve mysteries.

;D

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Lion tamer. I still might do it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

People told me I should have been an accountant, because I was good with numbers and statistics. Truth be told, the idea of sitting in an office all day mulling over balance sheet seemed a fate worse than death.

Never really had anything else that interested me other than various forms of media. Just love to talk and write, that's all.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Amen to that.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would have been a meteorologist except for fucking math.

Ooh, I hate math.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I would have learned to throw left handed.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I would have been a comparative religions professor. I still may go back and look into it.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't study journalism in college, but a friend at the student newspaper said he needed someone to help cover the college tennis team, and 16-plus years later, here I am, still in the newspaper biz.

Wouldn't have done anything different as far as a career field. This is what I like to do (at least most nights).

One thing I would advise to Sneed and other college journos reading this: Don't discount the strong weekly papers or the smaller daily newspapers. Unlike some of the big metros having trouble these days, those publications are widely read, people are passionate about what your write, and they're an important part of the community.

Now, if some of the bigger papers can remember how to achieve those three objectives, we'll all be better off!

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I did. Doesn't really help if you can barely hit 80 on the gun.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I left the biz to follow a wild-hair dream. Third best decision I've ever made.

Draft saved Draft deleted