1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if this is as good as it gets?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Whenever I think it can't get any better, I am proven wrong.

2. "The Good Old Days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."
    Billy Joel

Hey, remember that time ... ?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/92754/

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rousseau: "Life is hard!"

Voltaire: "Compared to what?"

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Seconded. If I can't do better than this, something's gone terribly wrong.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

As good as it gets, or as good as you're willing to make it?

Not the same thing.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Had a weird dream a few months ago in which I was at one of those fall Friday meetings sportswriters know so well. Everybody was there, playing their appropriate roles, except I was me as I am now rather than me as I was then. It was very strange. Anyway, I posted something about it on Facebook, and the wife of my SE at the time commented that he (the SE at the time) said "We should all be so lucky, those were the best days of our lives." I thought to myself, "If those were the best days of your life, then I really, really, really pity you."

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

This resonates with me. For example, last night my 9-year-old daughter just had one of those nights where she couldn't sleep. She wasn't misbehaving or anything, or wasn't really even that frustrated. She just lay there quietly hoping to drift off. It was about 11 when I went upstairs to her, thinking maybe if I was with her she might fall asleep a little faster. Sometimes this works. This time, though, it didn't right away. But even as the clock ticked past midnight, knowing that I was going to be tired all day today (still won't trade the 8-5 thing I get to do now for the first time in my life), I didn't want to be anywhere else. It still took awhile, but she just cuddled up and eventually we both fell asleep. I woke up at 2:30, went downstairs to my wife for the last 4 hours of sleep, but felt good all over. All I could think about was how few times like these I might have left with my daughter.

I know I'm a sap, but every day with my wife and daughter is a lucky day for me. I don't deserve them. And with my daughter actively taking part in local theatre and loving piano lessons, I can't wait to see what she accomplishes next.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That's good posting.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It is as good as it gets for my age, but I would like it to get better with time.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it goes back to expectations. What are your expectations from life? Are your expectations reasonable?

When I was in my 20s, I wanted too much. I wanted to be able to work 80 hours a week, move to the top of the journalism ranks and have a good family life. I was obsessed with my job and even when I was at the top of my game, I wasn't very happy.

Now, at 38, I want to have a job that I like and I want my family to be happy and healthy. That's it. I sort of feel greedy if I want much more than that.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Shortest Rosh Hashanah sermon on record.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The first mistake is believing life is supposed to be good.
    Once you accept that life is not inherently good, you can enjoy the few and far between good moments.

Draft saved Draft deleted