1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'What if the newspaper industry made a colossal mistake?'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 18, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I shoulda stayed at Tronc and taken the buyout. Could have had a whole year last October that would just be running out now.

But I would have demanded that the money not be paid until Jan. 1, 2016 (for tax purposes). And they would have refused.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How the hell have you survived the layoffs? No offense, but your situation is not common. That's intriguing about the two new presses having been bought. I don't know what to think about that. It doesn't make much sense unless they are convinced you can print other companies' newspapers at your plant. To buy new presses certainly makes me think I may be wrong about newspapers being completely gone in 2 years. Why would they buy presses if they aren't convinced we have 10 more years?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Look, I'm an example of your grim outlook today. But that doesn't mean things are bleak everywhere. There are places that are going to survive, believe it or not -- most likely places where ownership did not panic over 5 percent profit margins.

4. BTExpress

Well, they ARE printing other papers at these sites (Wall Street Journal and Barrons) and these new presses mean we never have to send color early.

That being said, printing the other papers --- and a commitment to end the press shifts as early as possible --- has resulted in draconian 10 p.m. deadlines, with replates only for rare occasions (and World Series games are NOT these kinds of occasions). Kind of nice being home by 10:40, however. I actually get to watch the end of prime-time sporting events.

As to your first question, I'm not sure how I have survived. Combination of luck and having the proper skill set at the proper time, I guess. I'd like to think I deserve some reward for never having missed a scheduled day of work in my 33+ years in the business. :)

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I agree with everything, but this. Why is it a mistake? Where do you live that people under the age of 60 are buying dead trees? Hell, in my mid-size down, the paper stopped OTC sales a year ago.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

IMO, your chances of surviving for at least a little while on a copy desk are enhanced under the following circumstances (some of which you can control, some of which you can't):

1. Your paper is owned by a diversified communication company that's in profitable industries (TV stations, radio stations, cable TV, advertising, whatever) that offset the steep declines in newspapers. Also might help if said company is privately held instead of publicly traded and isn't carrying big debt. Newspaper people still will be laid off, but the cuts might not be as deep.

2. Along with your regular duties, you've taken on shit jobs that require performing menial tasks and/or working unappealing shifts. Makes you more valuable because somebody's got to do them.

3. You're making less money than people with similar responsibilities; higher salaries are at greater risk.

4. Your company still has some commitment to quality and (a) plans to keep at least a scaled-back copy desk in place either on-site or centrally located, and (b) has no plans to outsource desk work to GateHouse or other cut-rate vendors.

Unfortunately, 4(b) doesn't apply to my company, which is why approximately 25 percent of our workforce was laid off recently and why I'll feel fortunate if I make it through the two more years I need until I can access my IRAs and 401K without penalties.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. BTExpress

I took a pay cut 5 years ago to move from a "spoke" to a "hub" under the assumption that it would offer a higher degree of job security.

Will never know what would have happened had I stayed at the old place. There have been layoffs at both the old place and the current place. My salary at the old place had to be an inviting target, however.

The fact that our hub is (finally) actively expanding from three papers to 12 offers a slight amount of comfort in my desperate attempt to run out the clock.

Draft saved Draft deleted