1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Superman was a smoker?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 10, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Had an odd conversation with Ms. Ragu this morning. There was this photo exhibit nearby, and they have a line of some of the photos on a fence near where we walk sometimes. One was a guy (might have been in a comic book store) wearing a superman costume and vacuuming. There is a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

My immediate response was, "I wonder if smoking hinders his ability to fly."

Then I thought about it some more. I am not a comic book guy, so my Superman knowledge might be limited. But his only weakness was Kryptonite, right?

If that's the case, wouldn't he then be able to smoke 10,000 packs a day without any harmful effects if he wanted to?

Does anyone have anything else to add, because now I am picturing Superman eating fatty foods and smoking like a chimney and otherwise doing stuff that would abuse the body of any of us. But since he's Superman, it's all good, as long as he avoids the Kryptonite.

It just doesn't seem right to me.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm trying to recall it, but in Superman III, didn't he get drunk?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI, I just found the photo online.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. At least Flash is packing. .

Though our own Flash has revealed more.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wasn't that after he gave up his super powers for Lois?

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

He gave up his powers in Superman II.

As a general rule, any sentence that starts with "In Superman III ..." need not be finished.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are correct. He gave up his powers in Superman II. In Superman III, he was exposed to red Kryptonite, which does unpredictable things to him from allowing him to build up so much power he threatens to explode to simply losing his inhibitions and acting like an asshole. The latter is what happened in Superman III and on Smallville, where they used it a few times to show what happens if Clark wasn't such a good guy.

Mighty Mouse raises a good point, but really, all three movies had some odd shit that doesn't fit into any other version of the character. In Superman II, he shoots a heat/force beam from his hands (as do the other Kryptonians) and creates illusions of himself to fool his enemies. Then there was the bit about him stripping off the symbol from his chest and throwing it, so it then expands into a big plastic strip that traps Nod...for about 2 seconds. WTF?

Of course, in modern stories, they would never have Superman smoke, though I doubt it would harm him. But hey, why not have a story in which Superman has to battle cancer? Not sure if they've done that in DC. In Marvel Comics, they killed off the hero Captain Marvel with cancer. Though I think that was some villain exposing him to something deadly, not just a more natural means of contracting it.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What if he's Jewish?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/jul/10/superman-jewish/

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, that's why I can't recall it 100 percent. It wasn't exactly a classic.

Although the actress who played Lana was cute.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was Annette O'Toole, who later played Martha Kent on Smallville. For those who didn't watch it, quite a few actors from the Superman movies showed up on Smallville, though O'Toole was the only one to have a long-term starring role. That includes Christopher Reeve after his accident and Margot Kidder after she reportedly went meshugah.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The subject kind of reminds me of the Captain America movie (which I saw online last night) and the scene soon after Bucky Barnes falls to his apparent death. Agent Carter finds a despondent Steve Rogers in an abandoned pub with a bottle of booze by his side, and Rogers explains to her that because of the recuperative powers of the super serum, he can't get drunk no matter how much whiskey he drinks.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I thought it was psuedo-kryptonite he was exposed to. Whomever the new Lex was brought some stolen Kryptonite to Richard Pryor's character to analyze it so they could make their own. There was 0.001% unknown and he just entered tar as the mystery ingredient and the fake kryptonite made him sick... splitting into two egos. The fight in the junkyard between the "good" Clark Kent and the "evil" Superman was pretty ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted