1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Michael Vick was white? - ESPN reaches for new lows...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I know we're mostly cynical newspaper/media people, but the notion that paying your debt, learning a huge life lesson, transformative change for the better and redemption aren't remotely considered possible by at least some here bugs me.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I agree. However, in Vick's case, I don't believe him. It's all too staged, and the NFL -- and its enormous P.R. machine that, let's be real here, includes ESPN -- are too invested in the good outcome.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have always wondered, what if Michael Vick was Asian?

[​IMG]

Let's discuss.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Michael Vick got a sex change, could he play for the U.S. women's soccer team?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, so you agree ... but not too much. :)

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where is the evidence he's changed his life around, besides not getting in trouble with the cops?

7. jr/shotglass

Chicken. Egg.

Again, where is the evidence he has NOT? And the birthday party ... sorry, not good enough. Somebody could pull a gun at my next birthday party.

8. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

Unnecessary story. The genesis of the story is because "so many people asked: Would a white football player have gotten nearly two years in prison for what Vick did to dogs?"

Who asked that question? Did the number of people who asked that question increase to such a level in terms of sheer numbers and influence among the sports world that it simply couldn't be ignored any longer? Somebody just had to answer the question "so many people" were asking, right?

The answer is nobody asked that question. Kind of like when Fox News reports "sources say" to justify their story and questioning, only the sources are never revealed.

Basically, this story didn't need to be written.

9. jr/shotglass

I don't know if "did the story need to be written" is the ideal litmus test. I'm sure there are plenty of stories that didn't "need" to be written that nonetheless turned out to be worthwhile reading material.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To be clear, I don't know if Michael Vick has changed or not.

But I've seen a couple of comments that basically mean, "You do something like that in your early 20s, your life should be over", and I simply can't agree.

Obviously, you kill 10 people, your life is over. At that point, I'd rather not get into the moral implications about killing people vs. killing helpless animals.

Our system judged him, he did his time, everything he's doing now -- staged or not -- is a seeming effort to atone, and I'm just saying I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he actually has.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What evidence are you looking for?

12. mcgovern72

mcgovern72 Member

If Michael Vick were white he'd obviously be the next Mark Messier.

Draft saved Draft deleted