1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Michael Vick was white? - ESPN reaches for new lows...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Never said "he didn't know any better." But to ignore that he came up in a culture that embraced dogfighting is ridiculous. How can any of us who didn't grow up in an atmosphere like that say how easy or hard it would have been to decide what to do in his situation? You know something's wrong, but you do it anyway because that's what you've always known as normal. What he did was beyond terrible. What he did does not automatically make him the subhuman, good-for-nothin, sure-to-do-it-again piece of trash some people like to paint him as.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But what if Michael Vick was British? He might play soccer and like scones.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I believe so. And I'm light-years away from the hipster douchebag market. Maybe just simple "douchebag."

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He looks like a Madden video game player

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Someone mentioned this to me today: is this any worse than what Rush Limbaugh said on ESPN? What do you guys think?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next up: The ABC network airs special report on what if Obama was white

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Man ... some angry people here.

I find the illustration offensive. I found the story somewhat interesting, I guess because I don't bristle when the subject of race is broached.

If you disagree with the hypothesis, fine. But the question being brought up, I don't think, is particularly wrong.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Some of you need to come of your high horse. What he did is horribly wrong but he has changed his life for the better. A certain somebody teaches forgiveness.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What would Jesus do? Have dogs raped and electrocuted because that's what he learned growing up. Spare me the self-righteousness.

How do you know he changed his life for the better? Because he's on TV and makes lots of money?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And who are we to sit in judgment?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think the most important question here is, white or black, is Michael Vick Now?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What does this mean? Really, is there a point behind this meaningless saying? You realize that judgments are fundamental to civilized society, right? Humans and their actions don't exist in an amoral vacuum.

Draft saved Draft deleted