1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Michael Vick was white? - ESPN reaches for new lows...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 25, 2011.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Re: What is Michael Vick was white? - ESPN reaches for new lows...

ESPN grows a little more supermarket tabloid-ish by the day ... and doesn't give a shit what we think.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

By the way...just turning someone's skin white doesn't transform their race...that illustration is freaky looking.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

So this is what they were doing instead of jumping on the UM story.
    Time well spent, fellas.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I'm guessing many of you didn't read the whole article. It says if he were white his entire existence would be different and we have no idea what he would be. The article says bluntly that the get out of jail free card for being white doesn't fly in Vick's case.

The altered photo is completely over the top and is an obvious ploy to get people riled up but the article is actually very good in my opinion. He makes the case that you can't just simply change a person's race because doing so would mean the person would have lead a completely different life right from the start.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have no idea why they chose to do that story NOW, four years after the fact. I also have no doubt that whites and blacks are treated much differently in the criminal justice system. Guess here is that if Vick were white, he wouldn't have served more than, say, 30 days, plus probation.

Isn't that what Dante Stallworth (who, BTW, is also black) got for killing a human being in a DUI accident?

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The whole premise is bogus.

As the ending graphs point out:

So, ESPN shines the brightest spotlight that they can on Vick's race and then says "Don't look at it."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And Vick STILL remorselessly slaughtered dogs.

Facts are facts.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah blah, he's very very sorry, he's turned over a new leaf, yadda yadda blah blah bullshit.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Starman, you're right. My biggest beef with Vick is his dog-slaughtering status. I'm not an animal-rights activist or anything but when I see dogs, cats, common household pets treated like shit that does raise my blood pressure.

He did it and he knows he'll have to live with it. He's getting the pass right now, but if this season turns into a big stumble the Philly fans WILL let him know.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To me the most ridiculous portion of the article is the part about "a team that many expect to see in the Super Bowl." Many of the battery-chucking douches, maybe.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He'd still be a subhuman piece of shit.

But, hey, maybe ESPN's onto something. Perhaps race-baiting make-believe is the future of sports journalism.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If anything, the "animal-rights people" have been ridiculously acquiescent through Vick's "redemption."

It's like they've collectively thrown up their hands and said, "who gives a shit, what can you do?"

So the next time Joe Schmoe gets hauled in on similar charges: "who gives a shit, what can you do?"

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He did 18 months in Leavenworth. Is his debt to the rest of us paid?

Draft saved Draft deleted