1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Gawker tried to out an anchor at Fox News and no one cared?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 27, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I had no real opinion regarding the facts in the Matthew Sheppard case. I assumed the reporting was accurate and factual.

If it wasn't that's a big story. But, many would rather not look into that, for fear of it disrupting both the established narrative, and thus their own credibility.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

was

and they formerly came out?
    Or do we mean formally?
    I get so confused these days.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't see it as a Times thing. It's a David Carr column. He's their media columnist, and kind of does his own thing and is more than apt to write this topic. I wouldn't confuse that with decisions made regarding general news coverage. Columnists frequently go off the reservation - at all papers.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. YankeeFan

I really hope that was a typo that auto-corrected to the wrong word for me. The alternative is too disturbing to consider.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You also forgot:

Tom Cruise?

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Little-known NYC law is that any media worker in the city has to read Gawker daily. Three times a day one of my co-workers will say, "Did you see on Gawker..." But I hardly visit it any longer. The unrelenting tone and site voice, which set it apart when it first started, just became too overwhelming and too much. Valleywag is the one Gawker site I still read almost every day. Maybe because there aren't as many posts each day or I just like seeing Silicon Valley get ripped on.

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

A woman can be a lesbian and love Tom Cruise, or any man. When you understand that, that'll be progress too.

9. YankeeFan

Will "outing" cease to be a thing at some point on the (near) future?

Acceptance pf homosexuality is higher than ever, and continues to grow. If the media is going to cover the private lives of famous people -- and they will -- it's going to be make little sense to avoid this one issue, when it carries no stigma and "no one cares".

10. MisterCreosote

Sorry, but the "girlfriends" (unless it's Kim Fucking Kardashian, like in the writer's example, or some other public figure) are just as irrelevant as the "boyfriends."

11. YankeeFan

Depends on the story, right?

If you get in a public argument, it's fair game, right? (For "gossip" columns at least.)

And, any kind of legal matter, such as a domestic violence arrest, or a lawsuit would put it in "play".

12. MisterCreosote

Of course. I'm talking about this writer's inane comparison of, "Well, you'd mention Kim Kardashian if you saw Kanye West on a date!"

This may come as a shock to him, but there are gay people who aren't interesting or newsworthy, just like all the boring straight people.

Draft saved Draft deleted