1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if a Democrat had said this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Herman Cain, on the other party:

“My challenge to you is to stay informed because we are up against a lot of stupid people in America who do not have a clue.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/us/politics/behind-herman-cains-humor-a-question-of-seriousness.html?_r=1

Considering the "elitist" tag hung on liberal Democrats, and the accusation that they think "real Americans" from the South and Midwest are unsophisticated rubes (and, although generalized, this is not a completely unfair accusation), I imagine that there would have been some serious outrage directed at someone like Obama or Biden for making this same statement.

It's a pretty good NYT piece on Cain and the question of his seriousness. Some black activists basically said that he's putting on a minstrel show for white GOP voters. Even moving beyond the inflammatory stuff, I think there is a real question about his seriousness. I wish the GOP would finally marry Romney and be done with it. He's the grown-up on the stage.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is the same thesis of Charles Pierce in his book "Idiot America".

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BTW, shouldn't the media report on the utter shit that is Godfather's Pizza?

4. Dick Whitman

Isn't it just gas station pizza?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I made the point on the poll thread that I can't even imagine the shitstorm that would have ensued if Obama had released a book in late 2007 with the subtitle "My Journey to the White House."

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My conspiracy theory of the day, which no one is talking about, is that Herman Cain has no desire to be president. But he thought that running for president could help him sell pizzas. The presidential campaign was a scheme to start a new 9-9-9 marketing campaign. As in, two pizzas for, "$9.99!"

After he is out, he is going to go back to Godfather Pizza, orchestrate a merger with Pizza Hut, and then we are going to be blanketed with ads with him pitching "two pizzas for. ...9-9-9!"

And he's going to sell a ton of pizzas, because everyone will know "9-9-9."

Wait and see.

7. Dick Whitman

I saw that post. It inspired this thread, as I recall having my similar thought yesterday reading the NYT piece.

8. Dick Whitman

That was when Michael Moore was leading the Democrat primary field?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Of course the other side is stupid. If they weren't, they wouldn't be on the OTHER side. See?

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The problem is not the GOP itself. It's the social conservatives and the Tea Party. The GOP needs the energy and GOTV machines both of these groups possess. Neither of those groups trust Romney. And those groups also have shown a willingness to throw away elections they should have otherwise won to make their point to the GOP establishment - see their support and nomination of Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle and Ken Buck in Senate races last year and Tom Tancredo's third-party candidacy for Governor of Colorado last year (allowing Democrat John Hickenlooper to win).

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can we now call the Occupy Wall Street Movement the Occupy Party. The Tea Party isn't a party in the sense of a political party, the Tea Party was a an ironic use of the word"party" instead of protest.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People spend way too much time picking apart every little word everybody says on both sides of the fence.

Cornel West made a comment about Herman Cain needing to "put the crack pipe down"

Who cares? Shrug it off and move on and if you don't like the candidate, don't vote for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted