1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I Should Have Done Is . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

As many of you know, I've been reassigned to news (although today I did a sports story, about an arrested athlete).

Anyway, with the new job comes much more photography.

Every time I come back to the office — I mean EVERY time — and input the photos I think to myself "what I should have done is" . . . framed something differently, gone to the other side of the road, focused on a different person in the shot, used a different lens, whatever.

It's driving me mad.

Does anyone else experience this?

Or, do I experience it more often because I'm simply not "a photographer first" — I got into the biz to report using the written word first.

Not that I mind photography. But I just don't see stuff until I'm back at my desk.

Very frustrating.

2. Babs

Babs Member

Not that exactly, but sometimes I don't end up with a picture of a guy I later need. I've got all his teammates, but not him.

The lesson I've taken from that is to take as many shots as you physically can, and hopefully you will increase the likelihood of what you want/need.

Seems like this might work for you too.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I started my career as a TV news photographer. At first I did that all the time. It's healthy. That's how you learn. Eventually you'll start seeing these things when you look through the viewfinder, and not when you get back to the newsroom.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That was my method too when I was a sports editor, which meant doing all the photos myself for a small weekly section. The two full-time photogs said I was doing a good job making up for the lack of skill with effort, so I think being aggressive and taking lots of photos can help compensate if you're not really sure about angles and what not.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Every day I input photos and wonder if our press is bad enough that no one will notice that they are all out of focus again.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We used to do that.
    Now we have good cameras and take good pictures, but out press is so bad they all look out of focus anyway

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's something you'll get better at as you practice, er work, more. Most important, make sure you're not amputating anything. Bring a variety of lenses, keep going through your photos to see your mistakes.

8. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

It's just part of the process, man. Trust me on this one.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Good advice for anyone, but especially when you're new to it...shoot like crazy...in the age of digital photography there's no reason not to click away. I used to get off one roll (36 shots) on a game night...now I shoot at least 100.

Shoot from a variety of angles and as you get experience you'll become more bold about trying new things to get better shots. Also, by shooting extra shots you have stuff on file for unexpected stories or at least giving you more options with feature pieces down the road.

Good luck with it...I know it's tough to juggle reporting and photo-work at the same time, but more and more of us are being asked to do just that...and more :)

10. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Shooting and writing just takes practice.

We should revive the old photo critique thread we had here.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

This is great advice. I'll add: take your camera of auto mode (if that's where it is) and try different setting like shutter priority, aperature priority and manual mode. Try different settings, then review later when you have some free time (haha) to see how the picture changed with a different setting. Tinker with white balance, change the ISO around.
    I have an intern doing photography for the first time. He's actually getting some halfway decent stuff now, after some practice.
    As to the original question, I still find myself thinking about what I should done with a photo. It doesn't bother me much anymore, but when I first was learning photography it would piss me off no end. With practice, you walk into a room (or whatever the setting is) and size up what the art options are, what equipment and settings will be best, etc. and then just do it.
    One thing I tend to notice with young photogs: watch for what's in the background. Nothing ruins a great shot of someone like the bright green porta-potty right behind him/her.

12. Babs

Babs Member

Yeah, I just rejected one of mine own today because the McDonald's signage in the background was just a bit too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted