1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What have you cut back on?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 21, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Agreed. I was really bare-bones upon losing my job last spring. I've been a lot less conservative the last few months, but fuck it. I deserve it after the year from fucking hell, and I dare anyone to suggest otherwise (not aimed at Sam at all, just to be clear).

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Smaller tips for the hookers.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Word gets out, and you'll get cut down to 55 minutes.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Cut my cell phone plan to bare minimum (400 minutes a month). Night minutes start at 7, and I've conditioned myself to call coaches with night or weekend minutes. Saved $60 a month.

Got rid of the landline - $50 a month.

Got rid of Napster - $19.95 a month. You can listen to almost anything Napster has for free on imeem.com.

Some of the others previously mentioned: Cutting back on eating out, movies (very few good movies anyway these days), other leisure activities. Playing golf less, but started buying used golf balls and looking in the rough/woods for abandoned balls when I do play.

With 10 percent salary cut, had to trim my 401K contribution to bare minumum ($5 a month). That absorbed $80 of the $200 monthly I lost right there.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Happily, I haven't had to cut anything. No slaery cuts or furloughs at my place.
    No raises, either, but nothing has changed about my living habits.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Most of the ones mentioned, I do.

I cut Blockbuster out of my life. If I do rent a movie, it's from Redbox.

I no longer pay for haircuts. Either do it myself or have a friend do it.

I date less; drink less when I do go out and smoke less.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sex with strippers.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Condoms.

Yet, my payments for child support has gone up.

[/hoping blue font isn't needed]

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shit, I think you're making Trojan's stock price fall. :eek:

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have a question for those of you who have cut dish/cable. When you watch stuff online, don't you miss the bigger screen and the couch and stuff? I can't imagine my wife and daughter and I sitting around the computer monitor.

In our house, we really see a difference with the eating out. My wife works in an office and that makes it harder for her to always say "naw, I'm staying in today", although she often does. I, on the other hand, work at a radio station as the morning man and I eat my lunch, packed from home, at like 10 AM. So I don't really run into the "come to lunch with us" crowd.

We are considering getting rid of our lawn service, which is 80 dollars a month. There are a couple of reasons that we hesitate. I have a skin disease that effectively make me allergic to the sun so it would be difficult for me to cut the lawn. And two, I am a fat lazy S-O-B that doesn't want to cut the lawn.

We have cut our magazine subs down to Consumer Reports (my daughter gets Star for reasons that surpass understanding. She is pretty intelligent otherwise).

I will say this, my kid is 20 and while she is still going to school and living at home, she has assumed some of her financial responsibilities. That has made a big difference.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Everything. Social life has definitely taken a moderate hit.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've reduced my cocaine use to weekends only.

Draft saved Draft deleted