1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What have you cut back on?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

We refinanced last week, which will save about $200/mth. I've been working from home more often.....we've always been pretty good about cooking dinner, so that hasn't changed much.

No trip to France this summer, we'll wait until next year.....that's about it.

Oh yeah, I'm still shaving everyday, and using shaving cream too.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Dining out, especially lunch during the work week. I try to limit myself to buying lunch once a week and bringing lunch the rest of the week if I'm in the office Monday through Friday.

Weekends I'm not on the road, Mr. Cougar and I have scaled back on going out for breakfast or brunch - instead it's bacon, eggs, pancakes, bagels, coffee and juice at home.

Speaking of coffee, I'm drinking more home-brewed stuff and less $3-a-cup stuff from Starbucks (I was going at least four times a week).

Fewer shopping trips. Moving away from a town with lots of outlets around the corner helped, too.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gambling there's another one. Only been once in the last four months. And lost, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Eating out is the big thing, for me. That saves a ton. I was proud last week of brown-bagging it all six days of my work week. If I can limit myself to just 1-2x/week grabbing something on the way to work, my bank account loves me.

Switched from cable ($88/month) to DirecTV ($39/month for the first year), which was mostly out of frustration with Cox than a financial issue. I've noticed that making a difference, too.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Have cut back on going out for a beer or two after work. Have been bringing lunches to work more the last couple of years. Saved a decent amount of money by finally getting around to canceling a few things that would have small recurring payments a month. Moved into a less expensive apartment that's more energy efficient, and finally got a reliable car. Have cut back on eating out, and no longer have a land line.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Cocaine.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Writing for money.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's a rare occasion that I actually burst out laughing, but I did after reading everyone else's tales and then getting to this. Well done.

I haven't actually cut back on much, but I should have. In fact, this summer alone I've started golfing more, picked up a few other magazine subscriptions and gone out to dinner with the lady more. But I cut the phone bill a bit, and I'm looking on picking up other work this fall.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I forgot to add. I've laid off purchasing shoes, or at least I've exchanged my Betsey Johnson's for Unlisted. Not nearly as much fun, let me tell you what.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Mizzou, above, at a senior year kegger. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

He didn't say anything about downloading movies for free.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Me in a few more days ...

-----

I've cut back on just about everything the last couple of years. Rarely eat out, brown-bag as often as possible, buy very few tickets to games and concerts and unloaded a lot of stuff. I was doing this before the economy started swirling the bowl, though.

Need the occasional trip outta here, though. It costs, but sanity shouldn't have a price tag.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted