1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What have you cut back on?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My family, like probably just about everyone on here, has taken a huge financial hit over the last year. I'm not complaining, because we're still better off than most, but between college funds, day care and all that, we've had to cut considerably.

We cut our satellite package in half. We don't get HBO, Showtime anymore. I just download Weeds, Nurse Jackie and Entourage off the Internet and we watch it on Apple TV, which is one of the best investments I made a few years ago. It probably saves $50-$60 a month.

I stopped buying shaving cream. I use soap or shampoo. That saves $20 a month. I truly believe that shampoo works better than shaving cream and I have a really thick beard.

We stopped going out to dinner almost at all. We used to probably go out twice a week, now other than a run to the dollar menu, we go out for birthdays and special occasions and that's it. That saves us a ton of money. I go to the movies very rarely. I usually wait until I can download it, which lately hasn't been that long.

No vacation this year. That saves a couple grand.

Curious what other people are doing.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nothing. Living the same way.
  3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I scaled back on my cell phone minutes to save $5 a month and I try not to go out as much. That includes trips to the bar, restaurants or just getting crap at the vending machine.

I also buy just about anything I need on Ebay to save cash and sell a lot of my used stuff on there as well.

I've also changed the way I workout. I run a lot more and work out at home instead of the gym membership. Gone two years without one now. I cut down on mountain biking because the repairs got too expensive.

This fall will be the first year in about seven years that I don't have season tickets for the local U.
  4. Mizzougrad96

I called my cell phone company and because my contract was up they took $15 a month off my bill to keep me. The regular phone company did the same thing.

We've also turned using coupons into an art. It's amazing what's out there if you look for it.
  5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I cut down my Netflix subscription to one at a time sted 3. I pack more lunches instead of getting drive-through or eating from the cafeteria as much. I'm moving into a cheaper apartment in a month.

Also, I try to bundle my errands to save gas.
  6. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

I've been longboarding through town to get around when not driving to work. But really, other than that, nothing. There's a good chance I'm spending more.
  7. Mizzougrad96

We resisted for awhile, but we cut Netflix.
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We live in a two-room apartment with no TV. We've taught ourselves a lot of basic cooking skills in order to avoid eating out. We sold a second car. We dropped down to one phone.

It turns out: I don't really miss any of that stuff and I wouldn't go back to living the old way even if I could.
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We're re-financing the house, putting off the purchase of a new car, cutting back on restaurants and Mrs. Cranberry is even returning beer bottles for deposits instead of dumping them into the recycling.

We also dropped our lawn service and got the old Craftsman tuned up, so now I'm spending a couple hours mowing on weekends. I find it kind of peaceful, at least until I drag out the leaf blower. When you consider the cost of the lawnmower tune-up, the purchase of a new weed whacker, the gasoline and my labor, I'm not sure we're saving ourselves very much by taking on the job, though.
  10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ahhh the no TV would kill me. I don't watch a lot of it, but there I sometimes SportsJournalists.com doesn't cut it.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can watch almost anything on a computer. Computers and net access would be the last thing I could ever cut.
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

$20 a month for shaving cream? Dear Lord, man. You shave 5 times a day? I buy a big-ass can of the cheap shaving cream for $3-4 and it lasts at least a month, usually longer.

We try to limit going out to dinner. And we shop smarter at the grocery store. Only the stuff we need. Other than that, we pretty much live the same. I mean, we don't have kids, which makes it easier.

It helps that the wife keeps track of the bills and checkbook, blah, blah.
Draft saved Draft deleted