1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has Tom Petty done the last 20 years?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I have no idea if he'll play any of these, but...

This is "I Should Have Known It," from his new album:

Here's a live version of "Have Love Will Travel," a song from his 2002 album:

Here's a live version of "Walls," a song from 1999, I think:

Finally, I think this is a fantastic version of Bob Dylan's "License To Kill" from Dylan's 30th anniversary concert in the early '90s:

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

"Walls" alone made the "She's the One" soundtrack worth buying. Movie didn't do it for me though.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I saw him a couple of years ago in Toronto. Steve Winwood opened for him. If I remember correctly, his first song was "You Wreck Me," from Wildflowers. Great song.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Main thing he's done, I imagine, is a ton of weed.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are back with their first new release in eight years, "Mojo," and you can hear it all only on ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=5260264

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Nice

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Into The Great Wide Open" is one of the greatest videos ever made, starring a post-21 Jump Street, pre-Oscar contender Johnny Depp as well as a scenery-chewing Faye Dunaway. Worth watching just for the parodies of pop culture circa 1991 (as well as the sight of a Tower Records and the Billboard charts featuring the likes of Paula Abdul, Extreme and Motley Crue).

There aren't many albums that featured a better 1-2 punch of opening singles than "Into The Great Wide Open," whose first single was the just-as-awesome "Learning To Fly." Great soundtrack to the summer of '91.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

He has a new CD out in next week or two. Performed two songs on SNL near end of the season, sounded promising. I've seen him in concert three times, and he's great -- good for an out-of-nowhere cover here and there as well.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A recent set list had him covering Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home." That's a hell of a cover.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He had that cameo in "The Postman" as the Mayor of Elvis.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Definitely one of the best five videos ever.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The question confuses me, as I can't think of any other answer besides "lived 20 more years as perhaps America's best living rocker."

And yes, that includes Bob Dylan -- whom I consider a poet and spokesman for a generation more than a rocker.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted