1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has Tom Petty done the last 20 years?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Jun 11, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My love for the Drive-by Truckers has led me to get tickets to see them open for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I'm familiar with most of Petty's hits, and I followed his career fairly close through Full Moon Fever. But since, I have very little idea what he's done. So, in preparation for the show, any suggestions on post-1990 Petty tracks I should check out?

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Wildflowers came out in '94. I couldn't pick one or two tracks. It's one of those albums that's near-perfect from start to finish. Google "Tom Petty setlist 2010" and see what he's been playing on the tour so far.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Second the Wildflowers love. That album is incredible. I wonder if he'll play any Mudcrutch stuff - that album was pretty rockin' as well.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wildflowers is great. I don't think he's done anything significant since, but I saw him in concert in 2003 and he was still amazing.

What have the Stones done in the last 20 years? There are countless "classic" singers or bands you can say the same thing about.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

For many years Petty was just putting out different compilations of greatest hits. But he's put out two or three CDS in recent gets, including one out this month, I believe. The only newer song of his I can think if is "The Last DJ." most everyone will be going to hear him play his old stuff, but at least they haven't become a Tom Petty cover band.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have one of his greatest hits that has 17 songs or so on it.

Every single one is great.

An amazing career.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He is indeed solid.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

bookmark.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know he used to post a ton on a couple of boards.

You know someone was going to do it sooner or later.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Anyhoo, last Petty song I really got into was Mary Jane's Last Dance.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

His album Highway Companion is very, very good.

And he was a regular on the last few seasons of King of the Hill, though I doubt he'll perform as Lucky.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

His buried treasure show is also very good

Draft saved Draft deleted