1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Has Become of Business Journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 9, 2014.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

OY!

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I have strange reading habits when it comes to business writing. I don't read it on a day to day basis. And I realize I should, because it does affect me, even if I don't necessarily realize it. I should do a better job of keeping up with things.

But I'm an avid reader of narrative business books. I can't get enough of them, the books that go behind the scenes or recap everything that happened. Maybe I like reading the story when it's actually concluded. Right now I'm reading All the Devils are Here by McLean and Nocera. I would imagine those two are respected for their regular work, but I wouldn't know because I've only read their books. It's about the 2008 crisis and it's stunning reading about the housing stuff and thinking, how did they not see this coming? They also wrote Smartest Guys in the Room and I also read Eichenwald's Enron book and The Informant.

Other ones in this genre that I can read in a few weeks: Too Big to Fail, Barbarians at The Gate, Den of Thieves, Indecent Exposure, When Genius Failed.

And many times I won't really understand everything being written about -- meaning I should be paying more attention to these things every day. But there's something about the structure of them and certainly the writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted