1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens when we lose faith in government?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have not been alive for all of U.S. history. I was not alive in the depression. I stand by my comment that this is the worst it has been in my lifetime.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think, for one, "things being as bad as they have ever been" are going to have to start affecting a lot more people.

Frankly -- and I know this isn't going to come out right, but fuck it -- I don't know many people who's lives have actually been affected by what, according to many on this thread, is the worst thing that has ever happened to America.

Our lives have gone on. We've bought houses. We've gone on vacation. We've bought everything we've needed and much of what we've wanted.

Do gas prices suck? Do I wish my 401K didn't lose money every day? Sure. But, as of yet, they haven't really affected our lifestyle too much.

I'd assume there are plenty of people out there like me. And I'm thinking, until more people's lifestyles are threatened, they aren't going to be willing to do anything about the sky falling.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What happens? We end up with seriously unqualified candidates for president like Barack Obama and John McCain.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

5. old_tony

Mitt Romney certainly is much more qualified than the two current rummies. Bill Richardson ... Hell, even Ted Kennedy and Hillary on the left are much more qualified.

On the right, Liddy Dole, Fred Thompson ... Geez, I'd have voted Keyes if he was running before I would have voted McCain.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Oh well. We were having a semi-interesting discussion.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's who we need in charge to set things right. ...

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. old_tony

Yup, my thoughts on the Obama-as-Messiah crowd.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well, Rush has checked in, but as he charged out of the room yelling, "Who's with me?", the silence was deafening.

We move on.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't see this country going up in flames of a revolution. I kind of just seeing us disintegrate in a combination of laziness and apathy. I could definitely see the US taken over by some sort of giant insect overlords.
    [​IMG]

As a country, we are much too lazy to bother fighting back.

Draft saved Draft deleted