1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens today on Wall Street?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Stocks continue to drop like Wile E. Coyote off a cliff? Rebound? Tread water?

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Looks like an early rebound. Who knows what can happen, though.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dow up 200 at the start, but I'm guessing it gives that all back and ends up down by that much or more.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hopefully something that doesn't involve me losing another 10 percent of my 401k.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There will be perhaps hundreds of thousands middle class kids whose college hopes will be screwed because of this. People who saved and invested in Mutual Funds and relatively safe stocks have seen their kids college funds whither away.

FUCK THEM ALL.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Up 185 as of ten minutes ago.

7. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

a dead cat bounce

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I heard someone say that about $1.4 trillion was lost in 401k and retirement accounts yesterday.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Consumer confidence numbers improved in September, which is cause for the slight uptick. Do note that these don't reflect the funhouse that was Monday.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Early trading often tends to be about those folks who see bargains after yesterday's mess. So it's fairly normal for there to be a lot of buying right now. By midday, that could change.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dow up about 400 right now. But 1929 had these wild swings too. Lots of bargain hunting and I think the Fed is going to meet to cut interest rates again.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Which will do dick-all nothing to help. The Fed funds rate could be zero, and if banks think they aren't getting their money back, they still won't lend it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted